NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rahway River Carp - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Rahway River Carp

Went for some carp a few nights ago with a simple can of corn. I ran into a guy fishing with a 'secret' recipe that had pulled in a few carp while i was talking with him. He gave me a few hints to what he was using and he said corn by itself sucks. (works for me.) So i had went on fishing with little to nothing hitting my bait. Next day i whipped up a quick recipe with all the hints he gave me. It consisted of blended corn, white bread, water, vanilla extract, flour and sugar. I mashed all this up into a sticky substance. Added flour until it would stay on the hook. So i took this out the following night with low expectations. I threw some corn chum in the designated area and set out two rods with a good clump of bait on each. Had hits instantly in total I had to of had seven hook-ups but only one landed! I believe it was that my bait didnt have enough flour as it wouldnt stay on the hook that good. My catch weighed in at 8 lbs 7 ounces
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Rahway River Carp

Pic of the monsta
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing 001.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	54332  
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Interesting.
Perhaps all the particulate matter falling away from the dough bait allows the carp the smell the bait more easily than just corn kernals lying in the mud.

I've never tried these, but the dough bait may hold onto the hook better if you use a purpose-made dough-bait hook with a little coil around the shank.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you are planning on releasing the carp it's not good to use trebles because they have soft mouths and trebles will tear up their lips. Try using corn on your hook and put a big ball of that dough mix around your lead. If you use the dough mix around your lead it's good if it breaks apart and creates a pile. Put some kernels of corn in the dough mix too. The dough will attract the carp and they will hover over the pile sucking everything up including your hookbait
Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Yes I have attempted at using the treble only to find that it is pain to get it out and it does tear their mouths up. Yes, I am releasing these carp and I will have to check if they make coils on circle hooks. That'd be great!

Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just go for that baitsaver gimic hook

I saw that commercial and LMAO when they show how it holds a bread ball...
The hook was four times the size of the bread ball.....I was thinkin what dumb azz fish will eat that??? Don't get me wrong, the hooks looked ok for saltwater baits and applications but thats it....
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Circle hooks and bait saver hooks are no good for carp and here's why: if you watch carp feed they suck everything off the bottom and spit it back out, so you need a rig that will prick their lip not only when they are eating your bait, but also when they are trying to blow it back out. Circle hooks and bait saver hooks are easy for them to spit out. I like small number 4 or 6 hooks, owners are good, and it is important that they are VERY sharp. You are probably missing fish because of your hooks. Hair rigs are great because the hook is bare. A great carp fisherman up in Mass named Jerome makes some great underwater videos. Check this one out and you'll see the rigs and feeding patterns I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFbN...4&feature=plcp
Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think that vanilla is the magic ingredient. I make a corn meal bait with yellow corn meal, flour, corn starch, honey, vanilla, yellow food dye and water. After I cook the concoction, it gets thick and stays on the hook well. I always throw out a can of corn for chum and caught more than 700 carp this year. Largest was 20.5 lbs. I believe that carp like yellow. I caught many carp on yellow or gold lures. 24 pounder with a yellow jig on 4 lb test was my largest carp caught on a lure. My heaviest carp on corn meal was 42.5 lbs. I actually landed a 20 lb carp on 2 lb test line in the Delaware River, but the fish was sick and dying. I really enjoy carping when they are biting. If the carp aren't biting, I cast a small jig with an ultralight spinning outfit until I get a bite on bait.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Vanilla and honey are a couple of the best flavors but they don't always work. The flavor they want changes with the seasons, water chemistry, day to day, and sometimes they want 3 different flavors at different times during the same day. No flavor is better than the wrong flavor because if you have the wrong flavor they will leave the area, but if you figure out the right flavor they will fight over your bait. You can go nuts trying different flavors. My fishing buddy Attila who I do tournaments with is more nuts than most:

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I have had more luck with small hooks like size 6 bait holders. And that video explains a lot I now know their feeding behaviors a lot better.

NJ219bands: And im still trying to get my first carp over 30 lbs that is definitley a good goal to overcome. Its funny how you mention catching carp on lures because yesterday I was bass fishing with a gold spinner and I had actually had a carp hit the thing! Thats unusual for me but if it works keep doing it!

Thanks