NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

big rainbows and little browns? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default big rainbows and little browns?

Seems like we are all catching the nice big rainbows that they stocked last week.

But I haven't seen much talk about how they also stocked some really small browns like this one. I caught several today and they are definitely freshly stocked, but smaller than legal sized and less than half an inch thick behind the heads. I thought that the fall stocking was all 2+ year old trout, but these are all really young. I guess they were cleaning out some of the tanks at pequest. Fine with me though, since they should hold over well and the more trout in our streams and rivers the better. Anybody else seeing fresh little browns (or other little stockers)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phprtRswRPM.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	54320   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpuJa6vMPM.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	54321  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: big rainbows and little browns?

Im not so sure that Brown came off a truck. We have tons of Brown Trout in the rivers this time of year. Also our Brown Trout tend to look like baseball bats after they've spawned out, very skinny bodies with very large heads. caught quite a few very long Browns in the past 20-26 inches that would only weigh 2-4 lbs after spawning.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They didnt stock any small browns they are either holdovers from the spring or wild.They sure look nicer then the stockies though.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i remain convinced they are freshly stocked for three reasons: they showed up out of nowhere along with the big rainbows, are the wrong size for wild fish this time of year, and are in terrible shape.

i fish the spot year round and have been there 2-3 times per week in the past month... i suppose that it is possible that there have been all of these tiny browns and that they were just all hiding with lockjaw before and then decided to start getting caught one after another yesterday, but i find that unlikely.

the browns were small, but all similarly sized, too small to be holdovers.

the biggest thing was their condition though: very rough.

for comparison, this is the color, size, and condition of an actual wild brown at this time of year:

i already emailed DFW to ask if they put these in. my question was if anybody else was seeing these little guys around unexpectedly?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Old Soft Salt

They are "culls" or "extras" from the hatchery. They put them in the rivers and lakes rather then kill them.
I found a mother load of them on the Musky a couple of years ago.
They make it hard to get your bait in front of a biggin
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I guess you could use those runts for bait.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The second brown def wild, but what makes you think the pic next to the rainbow is a stockie.....Other that the fact that it looks a little thin, the coloration and fin development look good to me.....If it is a stockie , which is possible than they would have had to gotten the eggs from a native or long time holdover.....
Believe it or not , this is not too uncommon....

The late 90's saw many horrible drought conditions for the catskill mountain streams....I personally witnessed an electro shocking at carins pool on the beaverkill where they removed aprox. 50 native browns in the 15-25" class....You can only imagine how upset us regulars were....

We were dealing with very bad droughts which were naturally killing native fish by the hundreds and now the state was removing fish that beat the odds...Their explanation was to be able to replenish the rivers with stocked fish that didn't look stocked AT ALL....These stockies would also technically have the instincts of their native parents....I just wish that these fish would have been returned once river conditions allowed....Multiple years of semi to very severe drought conditions changed tose rivers for generations to come....Used to be able to go up there and ONLY concentrate on the beaverkill and willowemoc, now the upper D and its branches are the best game in town for true trophies...Of course back then A River Runs Through It (the movie) did not exist and there were a few million less fly fisherman to pressure the waters.....Been fly fishing the catskills for trout for about 25 yrs. now, and i definately miss the old days.....Sorry to hijack the thread.....

But maybe you found some genetically sound stockies that were hijacked from another watershed to create superior cookie cutters
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My guess would say they got mixed in...

Pops stocked the flatbrook last week - was not one small fish in the nets...

All brookies / browns 14 - 16 with many 15 - 17 inch fish

Rainbows 3 - 6 pds.

I would lean on they got mixed in the truck - hard to say / determine. Either way - nice looking fish..

With no real controls of water flows / temperture and conservation - shame we can't get a year round stream that can produce like the elite streams from other geo's.

The one thing that is nice is too see the evolution the stocking program has undertaken in these years.

Never in a million years would I think to see the size of the fish they are throwing in the waters compared to the 90's and early 2000's.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

there was not a large brown trout surplus this year and I can tell you that the "runt" pictured by the OP does *not* look like a typical surplus fingerling or the "searun" browns they stock.

that said, could just have been mixed in, it happens (and perhaps "leakage" is why they didn't have a big brown surplus this year LOL!!)

Rob
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I find that most of the smaller stocked browns have a silver coloration to them.