NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Good auger? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-17-2020, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Good auger?

Father and I are looking for an ice auger. He used a manual one back in the day, are electric ones better even for less hardcore ice fishing?

Any makes to avoid? any favorite models? Maintenance? I have little knowledge on augers and can use help with a good purchase.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Good auger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Father and I are looking for an ice auger. He used a manual one back in the day, are electric ones better even for less hardcore ice fishing?

Any makes to avoid? any favorite models? Maintenance? I have little knowledge on augers and can use help with a good purchase.

Thanks!
I switched to an electric drill last season when my Eskimo propane auger broke. Milwaukee and Dewalt both make electric drills that work well for ice fishing. I went with the Milwaukee mud mixer and a 9.0 battery and it’s lighting fast with my 8” mora bit and even works with my 10” Eskimo bit that weighs 14lbs. You can also get a drill setup for a fraction of the price of the Ion and Strikemaster electric augers. The Kdrill and Eskimo pistol are good bits for electric drills but if you have a mora I’d just get the adapter on Amazon for $15 and you’re good to go.

Last edited by saxmatt; 12-17-2020 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-17-2020, 11:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here a video of the mud mixer and kdrill. The 8” mora bit actually cuts faster than this.
https://youtu.be/_OCmSD18c4k
Old 12-18-2020, 01:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

8" nils. Just make sure its clean ice. No sand or dirt. Avoid shallow stuff. They're butter smooth. Zero downward pressure needed. You CANNOT nick the blade. Keep it oiled and covered.

I bought mine w an extra head just in case. Very few places can correct or sharpen the nils but it's a fine piece of ice equipment.

I wanna upgrade to a 10" but wanna choose wisely. I'll go propane or electric eventually.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I have little knowledge on augers and can use help with a good purchase.
I have a lightly used eskimo 8" gas auger for sale. It has had maybe 1.5 cans of trufuel (non ethanol gas) ran through it PM me if interested. I upgraded to a diesel.

If you go with a manual auger stick with 6" or less. Manual drilling an 8" hole gets old real fast.

Electric augers are all the rage but are pricey IMO. here is a comparison video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3Z...ature=youtu.be

You can convert a cordless hammer drill like Matt suggested. Be sure to buy a brushless model with a lot of torque and have enough battery to last the day (5ah or greater). you will need an adapter and an extension to work with your auger of choice. Lots of guys use the Mora

more info on augers than you could ever want
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...php?board=73.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2671.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	146877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	146878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	146879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2670.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	146880  

Last edited by NJSquatch; 12-18-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-18-2020, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thank you for the info Saxmat, Jigman, and Squatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
I have a lightly used eskimo 8" gas auger for sale. It has had maybe 1.5 cans of trufuel (non ethanol gas) ran through it PM me if interested. I upgraded to a diesel.
Yes interested, sent a pm.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If your getting a hand auger get a Nils! I can drill a hole pretty damn fast with that thing. It’s amazing!

My gas auger is super light. Some kinda Eskimo 8 inch or whatever. Cost me 299.00 3 years ago and I have zero regrets.

The Kdrills and all other options mentioned are all awesome ice drills. You just need to know what your willing to drag on the ice. Text me if you have questions homie!