NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sounds on the ice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Sounds on the ice

Was on 9 inches of ice today. Kept hearing sounds like cracking an some echoing. I know the ice expands an it makes sounds but I'm fairly new so any info on those sounds or anyothers I can expect would be great. Also on the 9 inches I heard the sounds and saw more then one crack actually form right where I was standing and a few others very close by. The cracks looked to only go three or so inches. That normal too? Any info on that sort of stuff would be great. And I'd love to catch some yellow perch. I'm not asking for anyone's spot but how do I best increase my odds for them or any other species on the ice? Are spots near docks or structure, branches,trees etc good for anything. Asking a lot here. Had a good time out there!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sounds on the ice

there is no worries about the ice noise it's just the ice expanding.as far as finding perch you should try fishing 6 to 8 ft of water if you can find pockets in the weeds or the outside weed lines then you should find some perch willing to play nice for you. try a small jig head with a meal worm or a w4 jiggin rap. the perch that i caught were burpin up scuds(tiny shrimp like bugs) hope this helps. as far as structure, rock piles and underwater brush can produce perch as well. good luck
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1234 View Post
Was on 9 inches of ice today. Kept hearing sounds like cracking an some echoing. I know the ice expands an it makes sounds but I'm fairly new so any info on those sounds or anyothers I can expect would be great. Also on the 9 inches I heard the sounds and saw more then one crack actually form right where I was standing and a few others very close by. The cracks looked to only go three or so inches. That normal too? Any info on that sort of stuff would be great. And I'd love to catch some yellow perch. I'm not asking for anyone's spot but how do I best increase my odds for them or any other species on the ice? Are spots near docks or structure, branches,trees etc good for anything. Asking a lot here. Had a good time out there!
That's the sweet music of growing/expanding ice! Def makes the heart rate jump though when a nice expansion crack splits through the 5-hole when you're on the ice!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Site Sponsor

Now is a great time if your not sure where to fish... With the black ice we have now on most lakes look for weedlines under the ice usually they are good spots to set up and fish.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

if you don't care about the size of them, should be fairly easy between the males and females one or the other is either going to be in or near the weed beds or just outside of it, possibly as deep as 30ft, but not too far from the drop.

try a small jig tipped with 'meat', a little spoon, or a jigging rap. they can be picky like anything else but usually at least some of them will cooperate worst case scenario.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you aren't familiar with ice, the sounds can be unnerving. But when the temps are below freezing, as my dad explained it to me when I was a kid, it is the sound of making ice, meaning the ice getting thicker. As the ice gets thicker it makes a groaning like sound, often very loud. Sometimes you will see and hear it cracking, but that is simply the ice pushing upward as it thickens. It's a good sound.

Consider that you can probably drive a car on 9 inches of ice. You aren't in any danger.

Now if you are on thin ice, ice cracking about you is usually not a good thing.