NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Travel rod rec - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-26-2020, 03:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Travel rod rec

Going to Jensen beach Florida in March. I’m looking to get a 3 piece travel rod to fish the pier there. Can anyone recommend the specs I should look for? I have a 7 foot st crioix rated for 10 to 15 lb. I’ve used this for redfish/sheepshead from a boat . Should I get something longer or heavier for pier fishing?
Old 01-27-2020, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Travel rod rec

I picked up a 3-piece travel rod from a great store in Little Egg Harbor, NJ (not sure if I can say the name as I do not believe they are a site sponsor) a while ago and have been taking it on every trip for the past 3-4 months.

It came with a very sturdy travel tube that I can pack a small/medium sized lure case.

This thing is awesome - 7' when put together and can take 10-20 lb. line.

Best $99 I have spent on travel gear.

Last edited by MasiJC; 01-27-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasiJC View Post
I picked up a 3-piece travel rod from a great store in Little Egg Harbor, NJ (not sure if I can say the name as I do not believe they are a site sponsor) a few months ago and have been taking it on every trip for the past 12-18 months.

It came with a very sturdy travel tube that I can pack a small/medium sized lure case.

This thing is awesome - 7' when put together and can take 10-20 lb. line.

Best $99 I have spent on travel gear.
I know the rods you’re talking about and that’s probably what I’ll get. My st Croix is about the same action as the lighter one. Trying to decide if I need something heavier.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lol...the decision was made for me. The above unmentioned rod is on sale at the unmentioned store as a combo with a nice Daiwa reel that I wanted to get anyway. Just ordered.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:24 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnblues View Post
Lol...the decision was made for me. The above unmentioned rod is on sale at the unmentioned store as a combo with a nice Daiwa reel that I wanted to get anyway. Just ordered.
Excellent choice !!
Good luck with it !!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnblues View Post
Going to Jensen beach Florida in March. I’m looking to get a 3 piece travel rod to fish the pier there. Can anyone recommend the specs I should look for? I have a 7 foot st crioix rated for 10 to 15 lb. I’ve used this for redfish/sheepshead from a boat . Should I get something longer or heavier for pier fishing?
Interested myself. Can you PM me the info as I am headed to Florida as well.

Thx
Old 01-31-2020, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

are you planning to fish on the bridge near the beach if yes then i would suggest bigger rod... you can get rental rods from the pier guys there...
Old 02-01-2020, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc_tpt View Post
are you planning to fish on the bridge near the beach if yes then i would suggest bigger rod... you can get rental rods from the pier guys there...
Thanks.

Planning to fish the pier on the causeway and another pier on the bay a little down from my hotel. Also have a guide trip lined up.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It depends where you are going and what you are fishing for. Take a chapter out of my book..... If I know there is a Walmart, etc. nearby I will pack the appropriate reel and buy the rod at Walmart that matches. I keep the receipt, tag, etc. and simply return the rod at the end of the trip. Trust me, I know Walmart does not carry high-end rods but they work. This is coming from me who has custom surf rods and custom off shore rods. You will be fine with the cheaper stuff for a week.