NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

November F&G Council meeting: - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: November F&G Council meeting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
A lot of people who fish in NJ aren't hardcore. They just want to show up with their bucket and Powerbait and catch something for the freezer. At $10.50 a pop for trout stamps, F&W is more than happy to oblige.
At that price the 'catch-&-keep' crew get their trout stamp moneys worth within their first limit. Raising fish is a bit costly, even in the bulk the Div. does.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

From what I remember cali did a study and stocked fish don't do well regardless. Something like greater than 97% of genes passed down were not from wild fish. All the dams and reservoirs kinda ruin a lot of our chances for better water.
I'm sure the state can do better...but they do try. We have a huge population- they do a decent job trying to please everyone(imo- like the trophy lakes for bass etc etc)

Last edited by 23cardinal; 12-21-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just keep in mind, if it wasn't for F&W's stocking efforts, our only gamefish would be Pickerel and Bullhead Catfish .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
At that price the 'catch-&-keep' crew get their trout stamp moneys worth within their first limit. Raising fish is a bit costly, even in the bulk the Div. does.
Don't forget 90% of those guys you see opening morning of trout you won't see again till next year. Basically yes the trout stamp but the state also got the money for there general license as well that they wouldn't buy if they couldnt fish for trout.

Either way I would love to see less money invested in the trout and a little more money spent on our other fisheries. Really could use some better boat ramps, underwater structure, access points, more studies to provide better management strategies etc. With more and better fishing opportunities we could reverse the downward Trent of license sales.
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareriver View Post

Either way I would love to see less money invested in the trout and a little more money spent on our other fisheries. Really could use some better boat ramps, underwater structure, access points, more studies to provide better management strategies etc. With more and better fishing opportunities we could reverse the downward Trent of license sales.
That part I do agree with- the ramps up here look like moonscapes- and yea I d say more than 90% of ppl I know go one or two days for trout- that's it
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareriver View Post
Don't forget 90% of those guys you see opening morning of trout you won't see again till next year. Basically yes the trout stamp but the state also got the money for there general license as well that they wouldn't buy if they couldnt fish for trout.

Very true regarding those 'Opening Day trouters', especially in central/south Jersey, except that they generally tend to make it out the first 2-3 Saturdays before calling it quits. Only from my observations I'd say it's more like 65-70%. As for north Jersey the number of Opening Day only guys is far lower. A much higher percentage fish well into the stocking season. As for their general license fees most of these folks turn to other freshwater species when they quit chasing trout so their license money is spoken for in the management of those other freshwater species and the monitoring, maintaining and in some cases improvement of those habitats as well as creating and maintaining accesses. All else aside, as Skunk City mentioned, if it wasn't for the work of F&W all we would have to fish for would be pickerel and bullheads. Despite being a small state we still only have about 8 or so freshwater fisheries biologists to monitor a LOT of water.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Considering the budgetary constraints I think fish and game does a great job in nj. Small state, incredible pop density, high level of industrialism. Taking lemons and making trout, muskie, pike, hybrid, walleye, etc lemonade.

The 30 something $ a yr ain't shit. The fish I caught the last 3 yrs alone have created memories worth more than gold. Shit, I'd pay $50-75 a yr if it made things better...enhanced research, more diverse stocking, catch and release bodies of water etc. I understand I'm in the minority but supporting what I love to do in our great lil state is the least I think we can do as amateur to avid anglers.

Like walleye in spruce. Cmon mark... put like 1000 in and see what happens
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 AM
Old Soft Salt

The cost of the license to fish is a drop in the bucket.
Side scan sonar, glitter bass boats, gps enabled trolling motors, $10.00 lures, $300.00 waders, megabuck rods and reels, a couple dozen Helgramites add up faster than any license fees.
Better allocation of the money collected is what is needed.
Also a more progressive and realistic management plan from fish and game in tune with the conditions in the 21st century!
NJ license fees are no different than most other states by and large; just not spent as efficiently...in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigman13 View Post
like walleye in spruce. Cmon mark... Put like 1000 in and see what happens :d

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wanna clear up I do believe the commission does a great job, we have some great fisheries that other local states don't have or even come close. Pike muskie hybrids lake trout landlocked Salmon walleye to name a few. The best of 2016 thread really show cases how good we have it. With that said theres still always room for improvement.
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks