NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

lake assunpink - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default lake assunpink

fished from 8pm till 130am for catfish.we drifted the deepest water we could find and got 3 large bullheads.Then we tried to anchor up and got 2 more. Also had a nice fish bust me off right before we were leaving. used chicken liver all night.I heard there was hybrids in there but can't imagine them living in there as the deepest water we found was 14 feet. anyone ever heard of them being caught there?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: lake assunpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanstaalin
fished from 8pm till 130am for catfish.we drifted the deepest water we could find and got 3 large bullheads.Then we tried to anchor up and got 2 more. Also had a nice fish bust me off right before we were leaving. used chicken liver all night.I heard there was hybrids in there but can't imagine them living in there as the deepest water we found was 14 feet. anyone ever heard of them being caught there?
They were stocked a long time ago from what Ive been told but I don't believe any were caught, Im sure there's still 1 or 2 left in the lake. By the way, nice job. Any channels mixed in?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFISH13
They were stocked a long time ago from what Ive been told but I don't believe any were caught, Im sure there's still 1 or 2 left in the lake. By the way, nice job. Any channels mixed in?
no channels at all.The fish that busted me off felt like it had some weight to it but wasn't on very long. I don't seem to have luck catching them in lakes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I also heard hybrids were there until my first visit years ago when I roamed the whole pond and , like you, saw that the deepest was 12-14 ft and I knew this was false. Hybrids need a larger deeper lake, not a pond, to sustain them...thus Spruce Run.

Cat fishing at Assunpink can be good to very good. I have had success working the upper 2/3 of the pond in 5-8 ft of water. Stay away from the back, too many weeds, but the middle, early or late, not tried at night, has been productive for me. I use "ripe"shrimp as it stays on the hook better. Gotta weed through those bulls...they are well established there. Good channel cats though also. I have chummed these areas in the late afternoon prior to fishing as well with better success. Throw the bait out in a large area and come back in a short time frame 0.5-1.5 hours, set up and hold on
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I remember catching hy-stripers there back in the late 80's I know they were stocked there. I also think the state record was from assuinpink for a very short time and it was broken like a week later. I am geeting up there in age and someitmes my I forget things but this I do think is no fish tail!!
thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkertaker
I also heard hybrids were there until my first visit years ago when I roamed the whole pond and , like you, saw that the deepest was 12-14 ft and I knew this was false. Hybrids need a larger deeper lake, not a pond, to sustain them...thus Spruce Run.

Cat fishing at Assunpink can be good to very good. I have had success working the upper 2/3 of the pond in 5-8 ft of water. Stay away from the back, too many weeds, but the middle, early or late, not tried at night, has been productive for me. I use "ripe"shrimp as it stays on the hook better. Gotta weed through those bulls...they are well established there. Good channel cats though also. I have chummed these areas in the late afternoon prior to fishing as well with better success. Throw the bait out in a large area and come back in a short time frame 0.5-1.5 hours, set up and hold on
hey thanks for the advice. I might be going again this weekend. If I make out i'll post.How ripe are the shrimps your using? and do you use them for chum?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
hey thanks for the advice. I might be going again this weekend. If I make out i'll post.How ripe are the shrimps your using? and do you use them for chum?
"Ripe" means baking in a plastic bag the day before in the sun and then cooling...good and RIPE and the cats love um..the smelly the better.... They still hold to the hook unlike livers and others...dont gag, scares them away

Since I bring extra I always chum the area, not too much, but a few come and get it tid bits

Two rods on anchor for me, have not fished at night there...want to...lots of bulls but there are BIG channels there as welll.

From prior experience (reaching well past my days in NJ and going way south Ga, NC, TN), live lining smaller bluegills freshly caught are the BOMB! Have not tried this here, but if your looking for a great catch, well, ya know what it takes..Down South this was the preferred method for jugging and limb-lining the monster channel and flat-heat cats up to 30 lbs.

Stay away from the back of the lake...too many weeds and you will be constantly unhooking seaweed and not fish!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have had alot of luck using live shinners for channels there. My biggest so far out of that lake is 13.5 lbs all on shinners.