NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Delaware river question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Delaware river question

I'm going on one of those camping rafting trips on the delaware near Milford pa this weekend. I have little experience fishing rivers and I'm looking for tips on tackle/bait and types of fish.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Delaware river question

Senkos for smallies in the morning and during the day. Cranks or stickbaits for walleye at dusk. Chicken livers or live bluegills for catfish at night. Live herring never hurt and nightcrawlers with catch a variety of panfish, catfish and smallies. Thee's a lot more that you can do, but there's a start. BTW, this time of year, unless it's after a big storm, I wet-wade and target the deeper pools and eddies behind big rocks. If you walk along the river throwing nightcrawlers in the holes and slack water, I can guarantee you that you will catch fish.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The big D is VERY low right now. I don't see anything in the forecast that will raise it anytime soon. So, catfish's advice on the deeper pools is really the only way to go. To add to that, look for pools in the shade. When the river is this low and the sun is this hot, most of the fish will be in the shaded pools.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you can get Hellagramites you will constantly catch smallies. Best bait for the river but hard to get and a little pricey but well worth it.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Old Soft Salt

Since you will be canoeing, I would suggest a Trout Spinner (pick your favorite). It is a little difficult to fish bait from a moving canoe.
When you are gliding down the river look for deep holes and cast in. Kinda like run and gun fishing. You will only get a couple of casts per hole as you coast by, and probably pick up a few fish in the process.
Early morning is the way to go but if your canoeing with a crowd it hard to get them motivated early I know
The Jersey side will have the shade in the morning so look there first.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

fish a 6' rod w/ 6 or 8# test. In line spinners will catch ya smallies, rock bass and fall fish. I like to drag weighted worms on spinner hooks through the deep pools for cats, walleye.

Don't forget to pack some firewood, bug spray and watch out for the poison ivy.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you don't have anchors and are just drifting/paddling down stream you could always troll a rapala behind the canoe. I have done this successfully on the D by putting rod in canoe rodholder parallel to the water on the side you are not paddling on. You can pick up smallies as you cover ground.

Without rodholders you would have to put rod straight out the back of canoe and have good peripheral vision so you don't loose a rod on a hard strike or snag.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm heading to the same spot in a few weekends.. have 2 river front sites and plan to soak bait while sitting by the fire.

Do you guys suggest anchors like I would use for salt water surf fishing? I think the current gets rather strong there... any ideas would be great as I dont' want to be reeling and casting the whole time... i'd like to be a little lazy.

Thanks!!!

PS - Take some pics of the campsites near the river - hahaha - i want to know what i'm dealing with!

have fun!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Delaware river question

I tried anchoring my canoe in some semi fast water on the Raritan, NEVER AGAIN. Even putting the anchor strait out the back it pulled me off to one side, now I'm broadside in the fast water with the back of the canoe being pulled under, not a pretty site. Be careful, if you do anchor, I suggest slow deep areas.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey -

Not sure why I wrote anchors. I meant to say lead weights - bc I didn't know how fast the current is. I don't plan on fishing from a boat -

Thanks guys!!