NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Atlantic Star and Capt Tom????? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Atlantic Star and Capt Tom?????

It's sad to hear another AH PB is packing it in! The Atlantic Star has been there for as long as I can remember! Like they say "consider yourself lucky if you have a good run"! Nothing lasts forever....unfortunately!
Old 01-25-2024, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Google , 2007 Nj marine summary card .
Then 2023 Nj marine summary card and tell me it’s not the regs .

You could keep over twice as many fish on a 40 dollar trip compared to current regs on a 90 dollar trip .

Many who used to just go out for a fun change of pace aren’t going to pay over 100 bucks with tip and travel to keep 3 fish .

Sea bass trips seem to still draw a crowd , because guys are taking home a nice bag of fillets .

Now it’s mistly the same hardcore fisherman that you see on the boats , and those numbers are dwindling fast as we all grow older .

I get it…..peeps want stuff to take home after all the time and money spent. But it’s not everyone. I’ve posted here a million times before. My son and his bud have fished with me since they were 5 and now are 22. They couldn’t care less about keepers and regs. They just love fishing.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-26-2024, 12:58 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I get it…..peeps want stuff to take home after all the time and money spent. But it’s not everyone. I’ve posted here a million times before. My son and his bud have fished with me since they were 5 and now are 22. They couldn’t care less about keepers and regs. They just love fishing.
My grandson is the same except when it comes to crabbing.. I do however think there are still a lot of people who want at least the possibility of catching something for the table and this is especially true for the people considering going out on a charter or party boat. I say that because I think the expectation is a little different when you're paying out of pocket for someone to put you on the fish.

Having said all this, there certainly are a lot more people coming of age these days who don't keep anything but love to fish. I do however feel there are a lot fewer getting into fishing than there were in our generation.

I don't like being doom and gloom here but I'm saddened by all the things working against our favorite pass time and how many kids will miss out on the opportunities we had... It's not all about the meat either. It's about all the other things that go along with it like fresh air, relaxation, shared in person experiences and the priceless friendships.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-26-2024 at 02:02 PM..
Old 01-26-2024, 02:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

here's the really weird thing, and it illustrates the problem.. Too much exploitation by those that fish salt water for the market...
If I am a good enough fisherman, on fresh water thats really productive, I can bring home to eat each day-

5 walleyes
5 Pike or Pickerel
5 Trout
5 LM or SM Bass
25 Crappies
25 Sunfish
50 Yellow Perch
25 eels
as many catfish carp, white perch, rock bass, bullheads suckers as I can possibly carry... Everything is flip flopped, because people want to eat salt water fish, and will pay just about any price to get it... This is an extreme example, and of course I'm being silly, but the fact remains.. These days, i can legally take a LOT more fish out of a small fresh water lake than I can out of the atlantic ocean... bob
Old 01-27-2024, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Having known Tom since the early 60’s when we both worked on boats out of Belmar. Tom on the Sea Hawk and then Black Hawk in Belmar. He has been on the water for over 60 years, We are both in our 70’s and it has to be time to start to enjoy. I haven’t talked to him in a couple of years but. I wish him well, stay healthy and enjoy. Henry
Old 01-27-2024, 10:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It used to be my favorite fluke boat. He stayed local and hit all the little spots. That worked for me because back in the 80's, I was jigging with light tackle while everyone was dragging bait. Tom was ok with me casting because he knew I wasnt going to tangle any of the other rigs (usually casting downstream)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Tom is a real gentleman I enjoyed fishing with him for years. I know he had severe back pains that I hope he gets relief from.
If he is calling it quits it would sure be nice to hear a good -by from him.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I haven't been on a head boat for almost two years due to the cost and the limits...can no longer affords my favorite pastime!!!!
Will probably start to sell off my collection of old Penn spinners and conventional reels this season...It will hurt but life goes on!!!!
Old 02-01-2024, 01:30 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Tom is a real gentleman I enjoyed fishing with him for years. I know he had severe back pains that I hope he gets relief from.
If he is calling it quits it would sure be nice to hear a good -by from him.
Just spoke to Tom and he will be responding here....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-01-2024, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Member

As most people know by now I have sold the Atlantic Star. It's been a pretty good run. Met a lot of good people and had some good times. I want to thank everyone who has fished with me the past 50 plus years. Hope to see you around the docks. Good fishing catch em up