NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

rockaway river smallmouth - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-20-2016, 11:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default rockaway river smallmouth

went to the rockaway river with my neighbor we got there at 6:00pm fished jigs,small crankbaits and topwater with tiny torpedoes and zara puppys.we started with the god bless america and marabou jigs. we caught one smallie, two perch,a redbelly sunnie,one largemouth and a 19" slime dart. when the sun started to set we switched to topwater caught seven smallmouths the biggest one tapped out at 13" all others where 9 to 11".the river was kind of low and slow and a little off color but the smallmouth wanted to play.love fishing for those river smallmouths.all were released to fight again
Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: rockaway river smallmouth

Without poaching your spot- where on the rockaway? I'm fairly local(wanaque) and have never caught small mouth of any size (6inch). Even just a spot to walk or take- slightly to far to just snoop around

Sounds like a good day- hoping to target some myself soon ish- nice report too

Last edited by 23cardinal; 07-20-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

the boonton and boonton township strech.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

home court smack down!!!!!! gotta love the rockaway,it is were I learned to fish.congrats badger on the smallies and the xl slime dart.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
Thank you, tight lines!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sounds like a great outing dude. I'm with ya on the smallies. Them 9 to 11 inch river smallies don't know they are little! More fight ounce for ounce than any freshwater fish out there.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
Hey Ice, I am right in Denville so I fish the main street and Gardner Park section of the Rockaway. I had decent luck on the downtown Denville portion..Millions of crayfish this time of year. caught a nice smallie the other day.

I went to Grace Lord Park in Boonton a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it looked very busy but I wasn't sure where the access point was to the river, it looked like there was a pond in the front that opened up under the bridge..I had my wife with me when scoping it out and we were on our way to a venue, but I heard there was great fishing over there though and would love to know how to get to it.

I am going to try out the Jackson Ave Park section in Rockaway soon too.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capspath83 View Post
Hey Ice, I am right in Denville so I fish the main street and Gardner Park section of the Rockaway. I had decent luck on the downtown Denville portion..Millions of crayfish this time of year. caught a nice smallie the other day.

I went to Grace Lord Park in Boonton a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it looked very busy but I wasn't sure where the access point was to the river, it looked like there was a pond in the front that opened up under the bridge..I had my wife with me when scoping it out and we were on our way to a venue, but I heard there was great fishing over there though and would love to know how to get to it.

I am going to try out the Jackson Ave Park section in Rockaway soon too.
Best access to Grace Lord Park is from the parking lot at the end of Plane Street. At the far (north) end of the parking lot there is a short trail to the river that brings you to a path near the bottom of the falls. From there you can walk the length of the river through the entire park. You can also access it from a small dirt lot on Morris Ave, but it's a steep walk to the river and you are pretty much limited to the area around the abandoned RR bridge. A third option is to park on Essex Ave. From there it's a short walk to the north entrance of the park on Main Street.

The stretch in Grace Lord Park receives heavy pressure during fall and spring trout stocking seasons, but is usually not so bad the rest of the year. There are two deep holes in this stretch that will probably hold fish in the summer.

The banks are very steep in some sections, so be prepared.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
Best access to Grace Lord Park is from the parking lot at the end of Plane Street. At the far (north) end of the parking lot there is a short trail to the river that brings you to a path near the bottom of the falls. From there you can walk the length of the river through the entire park. You can also access it from a small dirt lot on Morris Ave, but it's a steep walk to the river and you are pretty much limited to the area around the abandoned RR bridge. A third option is to park on Essex Ave. From there it's a short walk to the north entrance of the park on Main Street.

The stretch in Grace Lord Park receives heavy pressure during fall and spring trout stocking seasons, but is usually not so bad the rest of the year. There are two deep holes in this stretch that will probably hold fish in the summer.

The banks are very steep in some sections, so be prepared.
Awesome! Thanks Brian. This is very helpful. I am looking forward to trying out this area of the river! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fish the Rockaway as well though not necessarily that stretch. Was there last night for a quick session as I passed through. The bottom is absolutely covered with crayfish. Got 2 smallies on topwater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	100709