NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The summer funk has set in - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: The summer funk has set in

I just remembered Oxford Furnace Lake. That's an option for me too. Any decent cover there?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
I know there are several paddling groups trying to get Newark to reconsider the ban on kayaks and canoes. Feel free to add your voice. I wrote a letter earlier in the year. Pretty silly ban if you ask me.
i think it's an awesome ban. i know the kayak-only fishermen are screwed and that's a bit of a bummer, but it's a small price to pay to keep the 'sheds the way they are. i really, really hope they never allow kayaks up there. that's the last thing we need... recreational kayaks screwing around cutting between you and the shoreline you are working while smiling waving 'hi' and asking how fishing is.... and taking up the whole trailer area of the parking lot with subarus (think splitrock, but with much smaller parking areas). NO THANKS it's nice to have a couple lakes that are just for fishing, and there would be no way that would last if kayaks were allowed. plenty of other places in the state to drop a 'yak in.

i don't hate kayaks or anything (i have 4), i just like the different rules at different lakes around the state... keeps everything from being the same everywhere... the 'sheds have an awesome thing going. no reason to screw it up. i guess i'll write a letter to add my thoughts too.

Last edited by acabtp; 07-28-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
i think it's an awesome ban. i know the kayak-only fishermen are screwed and that's a bit of a bummer, but it's a small price to pay to keep the 'sheds the way they are. i really, really hope they never allow kayaks up there. that's the last thing we need... recreational kayaks screwing around cutting between you and the shoreline you are working while smiling waving 'hi' and asking how fishing is.... and taking up the whole trailer area of the parking lot with subarus (think splitrock, but with much smaller parking areas). NO THANKS it's nice to have a couple lakes that are just for fishing, and there would be no way that would last if kayaks were allowed. plenty of other places in the state to drop a 'yak in.

i don't hate kayaks or anything (i have 4), i just like the different rules at different lakes around the state... keeps everything from being the same everywhere... the 'sheds have an awesome thing going. no reason to screw it up. i guess i'll write a letter to add my thoughts too.
I find that the permit requirement keeps a lot of the yahoos out, so I doubt it would change all that much. Most people just don't want to be bothered obtaining permits and would rather just go someplace else. It's why the hiking trails are pretty empty, while the hordes are just a few miles away at Wawayanda. I suspect it would be pretty much the same with paddlers.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with briansnat. I personally can't stand the bass boat guys who barrel over you to get to "the spot" before you, Cruz the shoreline shore line at 10 knots hoping there are tuna fast enough to chase their lure, or my favorite - the Richard head that uses his trolling motor to cut off my fishing and makes me paddle around him. The permit eould ensure only serious kayaker are there fishing. Not the $200 Dicks sporting store sit inside kayaking group
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The simple fact is that the parking is already DRASTICALLY insufficient at the Sheds and adding kayaks simply isn't realistic in the current paradigm. We can't even get them to address the dangerous aspects of launching a boat so expecting any parking expansion is completely unrealistic.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick View Post
The simple fact is that the parking is already DRASTICALLY insufficient at the Sheds and adding kayaks simply isn't realistic in the current paradigm. .
Exactly.

I too agree that the No kayaking rule is awesome.
and I yak fish all the time.
hard enough driving the access roads with those crazy road bikers. i can only imagine trying to launch w/yaks all over.

sleeper- ofl has some good bass.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This is a civil rights issue and we're planning a sit-in protest in the parking of of the Newark Watershed office.

I'm drawing up signs that say "I Can't Paddle" and "#Kayak Lives Matter". Maybe even "Hands up - Can't Paddle", but we're still working on that one.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i'll admit that is a good point about the permit keeping out the dicks $200 crowd (exactly what i had been picturing)

... but also a really good point about the parking already being awful and adding any more vehicles only making it worse (especially when the extra cars are from people who probably have limited trailering experience and are therefore likely to inadvertently park in the way)

here's a thought. if they allowed kayaks, maybe if could work if they made one of the other pull-offs around each of the reservoirs the kayak launching spot and the boat ramps stayed just for boats.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That sounds good. I never like using the ramp. Always go off to the side somehow. Could also do it like the Hunterdon county parks do and limit petmits. $200 a permit would keep only serious fishermen going there.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXlyakattacker View Post
That sounds good. I never like using the ramp. Always go off to the side somehow. Could also do it like the Hunterdon county parks do and limit petmits. $200 a permit would keep only serious fishermen going there.
Even a $22 fishing permit, plus the $30 boat fee already cuts significantly down on the traffic and you'll only find serious anglers there. It doesn't need to be $200. I agree that the lots at the ramps are already inadequate, but I think a portion of the people who own paddle craft AND boats, may choose the convenience of paddling when they go solo, instead of dealing with launching and taking out a boat alone. And paddlers don't need the ramps. So though there may be more people using the ramps, I don't think the numbers would increase all that much. And it would open up the water to those of us who can't afford $1,500 for a used boat, electric motor and trailer.

And the sort of people who who shell out $52 for a fishing and boat permit are generally serious anglers. I'd rather be on the water with serious paddle anglers than dealing with 10 ft jon boats, or 8ft inflatables, packed with four "fishermen" tossing their empty beer cans in the water. I see some of that at Split Rock and a lot of it at other places.

I'd rather share the water with serious paddling anglers, than some of the yahoos I see in boats on the water elsewhere.

Last edited by briansnat; 07-29-2015 at 11:32 PM..