NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What was THIS? Not even the experts can agree - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

View Poll Results: What was it
carp 16 53.33%
catfish 5 16.67%
turtle 6 20.00%
something else 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Question What was THIS? Not even the experts can agree

All,

I've shared a "big one that got away" story with US F&W and NJDEP and thus far three different biologists and one NJ freshwater expert have four different guesses on what was on my line the other day. Anyone want to guess? Will share the tale and the list the nominations.

I hooked a monster Monday evening while trout fishing with orange Powerbait on a small treble hook. I was on Amwell Lake in NJ which is about ten acres with a max depth of ten feet or so. Whatever it was took off along the shore to my right at a rapid pace. I only had 8-lb line on so I ended up letting the drag almost all the way out and chased it 300 yards or so.

It stayed just a few feet off shore and eventually found shelter under a cement drainage culvert. For the next ten minutes or so I fought it gently trying to ease it out, but it kept scurrying back to that hiding place. Eventually the line snapped at the hook.

Whatever this thing was it never surfaced – not even a sign of it above the water. Also, it took a direct straightline path to that culvert; no jerking left or right or anything and no thrashing about. It would stop once in a while but then resumed on course.

It’s frustrating because I had my ten year old son with me and we never saw one spec of this beast. I’m not sure any monster trout hang out in there because I doubt they can survive the summer temps.

The strangest things about the creature are (1) that it NEVER surfaced (2) not ONCE did it thrash back and forth (3) it seemed to know that culvert was there because it headed straight to it even though it was 300 yards away.

Here are the guesses:

Snapping turtle: US F&W biologist (says they hide when frightened)
Large carp: NJ fishing expert (due to bolting behavior)
Pickerel: NJDEP biologist 1 (not sure why)
Large catfish: NJDEP biologist 2 (says they stocked a few there)

Thanks all --

Last edited by tedmarx38; 04-09-2015 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: What was THIS? Not even the experts can agree

sounds like a carp to me. I don't think turtles move as fast as you are describing.

I had a similar experience about 30 years ago fishing shadow lake in Middletown. standing on the top of the dam, dangling small pieces of worms catching sunnies. when out of nowhere my rod doubles over and the drag is screaming. moving all over the place faster than I thought any fish up to that point in my life can swim. never got a look at it. my mother says I cried, I don't really remember. I blacked out from the panic and anger of losing it. it will always be, forever, "the one that got away"
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would've said carp also but without the fish trying to turn or thrash, I'd definitly say it was a sizable catfish. I've had cat take my bait in the same exact manner, straight and strong running!
If your gonna stalk it again, strengthen your gear. Line, swivels, leaders, etc.. Whatever you usually use, just a little heavier. The better you get at stalking them, the more monsters you'll hook up with.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm going with carp, even a moderately average sized one can exhibit that power, they are tanks. and they seem to have great stamina and intelligence - multiple long runs and knowing exactly where it wanted to hide from you. def could be a very large channel cat though, no question, but my vote is for carp.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Otter, Beaver, Muskrat, or the Hopatcong Anaconda.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the comments thus far. I thought it was the Loch Ness Monster at one point. Even before we got to that culvert I said to my son "I bet we never see this thing and won't find out for sure what it is." Wish I'd been wrong.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Talking Re: What was THIS? Not even the experts can agree

[QUOTE= "I bet we never see this thing and won't find out for sure what it is." Wish I'd been wrong.[/QUOTE]

You jinxed yourself by saying that!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
Otter, Beaver, Muskrat, or the Hopatcong Anaconda.
Sorry i landed the hopatcong anaconda last summer. Have him mounted up over my fireplace.

My guess is catfish. Ive hooked into one or two big ones before that decided to sit on the bottom at some point in the fight and wouldnt budge.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Probably a big catfish but a snapping turtle wouldn't surprise me. My friend hooked into a huge one at verona park last year and it didn't take off like a bolt but it pulled almost all the line off the reel and then just plopped in the middle of the lake. We had it on about 15 min before it got close enough to shore, we saw the turtle and then it snapped the line.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm gonna say a foul hooked carp.