NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Brief Visit to Lancaster PA - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-05-2020, 03:18 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Brief Visit to Lancaster PA

With all that has been happening with COVID-19, we had to cancel our vacation plans for ME and NH. We planned a short trip to Lancaster PA in the beginning of August for some warmwater fly fishing, and had to reschedule that one because of the remnants of Isaias! Finally, the last week of August, we got out there for some fishing.

Before the trip report, a little backstory (will become pertinent down the thread). My sons and I have done some freshwater spin fishing together since my oldest boy was about 5 (they are now 9 and 12), but just last year we all started fly fishing together. We joined Trout Unlimited, and purchased some starter kits to get us tying our own flies, which we've had some success with. Here are some photos of my younger boys' flies after tying for a few weeks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCT103.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	144709

Older boys' flies after tying for a few months:

Name:	LCT104.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	144710

Once we joined TU, one of the highlights of last year was a talk done by a gentleman by the name of Ken Reinard, who goes by The Colonial Angler. He gives talks on fly fishing during the American Colonial period, and his talks are great for several reasons. Besides comparing and contrasting fly fishing today vs. then, he is really good at leading people to understand fishing and conservation through the lens of yesteryear.

He is also very good at tying flies by hand (no vice) on the spot, while giving his speeches. This completely fascinated my younger son, and we purchased a copy of Ken's book and my younger boy began tying flies by hand (no vice). He was already a knot whiz so it seemed to come easy for him. He even did an impromptu demonstration of tying by hand at the March Madness fly tying event for TU (and hammed it up quite a bit in the process)

My boys with Ken Reinard:

Name:	LCT105.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	144711

Some of the flies my son tied by hand. All are tied without a vice besides the one on the far left.

Name:	LCT106.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	144712

So back to Lancaster. We left on the evening on the 23rd. What else happened on the 23rd? Lots of rain! All of the little streams we planned to fish got blown out and we had to try from the banks. It really killed our first two days. My older son said to me "if I get one smallmouth it'll be worth it!". Right after that he caught this lunker:

Name:	LCT107.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	144713

Messing around in the flooded water, mostly getting skunked. All in all we got 1 smallie, 1 rock bass, and a few redbreast and bluegill sunnies.

Name:	LCT108.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	144740

...cont'd

Last edited by CMA719; 09-05-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Brief Visit to Lancaster PA

...but the trip wasn't over. I had arranged for a little surprise for the boys. Ken Reinard and I had been talking and he offered to have us come out to a local pond and use some of the Colonial Era gear. They also got to fly fish a bit at the pond:

Name:	LCT121.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	144743

...and the boys got to fly fish with Ken. My sons learned a lot from him and he really influenced my younger boy with his fly tying at the talk he gave. He's a great angler and a great conservationist. If you ever get the chance to attend one of his talks, I'd highly recommend it!

Name:	LCT110.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	144726

So since fly fishing was set back by the rain, we decided to end the trip with a visit to the Susquehanna for some catfishing.

Name:	LCT113.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	144728

7 lb channel cat

Name:	LCT114.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	144729

6 lb channel cat

Name:	LCT115.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	144730

juvenile flathead (weight not taken):

Name:	LCT120.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	144742

All in all a good trip! I've been taking them to a local stream since we returned to make up for lost fly fishing time. So far so good, some bluegill, redbreast, rock bass, crappie and largemouth on the fly rods. I didn't have any experience with fly fishing before this, so we're learning together and having a blast.

Thanks for looking and tight lines.

P.S. My apologies-several of the photos came out sideways. They were upright in the original source. I could not figure out a way to rotate the photo through the site. Any advice on how to fix it?

Last edited by CMA719; 09-05-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 05:33 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Sounds like a great trip for you and the family and that’s what it all about!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-05-2020, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wonderful! Cool to get on that fly fishing especially with Ken, also that susq is a beautiful river, such a huge river, and way to go on the nice cats!

Ive re-attached those two sideways photos, i think I fixed em lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fix1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	144749   Click image for larger version

Name:	fix2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	144750  
Old 09-07-2020, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Brief Visit to Lancaster PA

That’s an awesome trip man! Quality time with the boys. They have some skills and the future looks bright for them! The Susquehanna is a phenom River. The Smallmouth fishing is nuts in the fall as well as the Cat fishing. Well done!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome trip! Wow, tying by hand I get frustrated tying lures on to line sometimes, can't imagine the skill that takes! Glad you and your sons were still able to get on some fish despite the setbacks!