NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Barnegate Bay Salvage - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Underwater Debris

I was down at the Lacey Elks the other day and that area looks good, compared to the Toms River north to Manasquan. I know Gary Z. was to sea trial a boat in that area. I have a buddy that keeps his boat at the Elks, and the ride to the Barnaget inlet is slow on a normal day. You must stay in the channel. Hopefully the channel marking police are re-marking areas without permanent buoys.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Submerged superstorm debris threatens tourism

Our lagoon in Bayville.
Also, i never really thought about it but.....Did you know that those composite decks sink? A friend of mine said he has a bunch of trek type decking in his lagoon.

There has to be a ton of it out there
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Underwater Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerin hank
I was down at the Lacey Elks the other day and that area looks good, compared to the Toms River north to Manasquan. I know Gary Z. was to sea trial a boat in that area. I have a buddy that keeps his boat at the Elks, and the ride to the Barnaget inlet is slow on a normal day. You must stay in the channel. Hopefully the channel marking police are re-marking areas without permanent buoys.
Thanks Hank.. I've been through that inlet a few times in good conditions and I know there is a lot of zig zagging going from bay side into the inlet itself because of how the sand thends to shoal in that area. I have to believe the storm shifted the sands around some and wonder if the markers in that area are still accurate. Wondering if somone knows anyone who has run the inlet recently.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Underwater Debris

I will be starting all new GPS lines this year, and following them back out of skinny water, and in channels. I can avoid going into Barnegat Bay, but all our waterways are compromised. I live near the Manasquan River Club above the RT70 Bridge, and realized after taking photos of the marina immediately after the storm, that we would be in for a challenge this boating season. The eastern end of the marina was swept clean as a ball field with the storm. Although the management did an excellent job of cleaning up the boats and debris, a lot of equipment like tables and chairs, BBQ's, screen houses, dock boxes, etc. were all swept into the water. This kind of debris is lodged into the bottom, or shifting all over the river. I pull in timbers, plywood, and all kinds of floating stuff every few days off my shoreline.
What I will be doing as I boat/fish this year is be prepared with a laundry detergent bottle or other strong plastic float, marked DANGER, anchored with a brick or some rocks in a small bag to mark hazards along the way. When I drop it in, I will advise the Coast Guard and DEP as to the GPS coordinates. Please help me to help each other, and alert authority as to the locations of these diansours in the water. Thank you, and be safe out there.............Papa
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Barnegate Bay Salvage

http://brick.patch.com/articles/from...photo-13638555

Add this to the thread about the underwater debris and you'll see what people are talking about. If you thought flounder fishing in that area was falling off in recent years, the silt will probably change things even more.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Barnegate Bay Salvage

Here is one from app.com about the clean up, positive spin.

http://www.app.com/article/20130312/...y-near-marinas
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Barnegate Bay Salvage

Looks like a $500.00 worth of jigs season!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Barnegat Bay clean up

Barnegat Bay clean up!
http://www.app.com/article/20130312/...y-near-marinas