NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Take A Kid Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-10-2023, 03:41 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Take A Kid Fishing

Let me first start by saying, not every kid will take to it but those who do will get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it if given the chance. Not sure who needs to hear this but “You” might be the one they need to fan that flame. The simple peace and comradery you get from a day of fishing yourself or with friends and family lasts a lifetime. It’s the gift that keeps on giving and might make a difference in a kid’s life.

You might be saying to yourself, I don’t have the experience to take or teach a kid fishing but I can “assure you, it’s not rocket science. You can do this and you might actually enjoy it too.

I started priming the fishing pump early with my Grandson when he was a baby, showing him the fish on my wall and telling him stories. I also remember when I was a kid, although my dad wasn’t into the outdoors, thankfully, I had an uncle who was and he took the time to tell me stories and take me fishing.
Fast forward and my Grandson, now 7, has got the fishing bug I planted and I couldn’t be more thrilled. While I’m not involved in his everyday life, fishing is the one legacy I wanted to pass along to him. I know what it did for me and it now bonds us together. It’s “our thing” and will be his for a lifetime.

So here are some tips to get a kid you care about into fishing:

With all the other distractions for kids these days it’s hard. The best way to start is just planting the seed and not taking them fishing but start talking about it to them. It’s not for everyone so it’s important to not force them or skip this part. Watch some YouTube videos, get a kids fishing book etc..

If they’re showing interest the next step is actually to take them fishing but you have to wait until they’re the right age and I would say 5 - 7 is the right age for that. This first trip does not have to be complicated, just get a basic fishing pole, some hooks, some garden worms or some hot dog scraps and a bobber and go to your nearest lake, pond or river and get them out there. Here is a great site to find places in NJ https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/fishing/fres...es-reservoirs/

If you want to fish the saltwater, Charter and party boats are great ways to get started. They’ll supply all the equipment, bait and instruction needed and there will be a mate to assist with tying rigs and sorting out tangles. Since this will be their introduction to fishing you want to be careful to pick a nice calm day and make it a half day trip, not a full day. You can see which boats are fishing for what here https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Be careful to set their expectations first so they don’t get disappointed. Even the best fishermen don’t catch fish every time, but you and I are going to give it a try. Once again gauge their interest and be sure to make sure they have a continued interest. If they do, you now have a little person hooked. If not, it’s best not to force them.

If you need some additional help or advice just shoot me an email at gerryzagorski@gmail.com I know the difference this great sport has made for me and others I’ve introduced to it so if I can help I’d be glad to.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-11-2023, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Take A Kid Fishing

Cool post! Just in time for me to get busy too. 2 days ago i was able to take my younger cousins out fishing locally. The priming for me was showing them all the stupid, crazy colored & shaped lures that i have. Explained that those are all my "toy boxes" and out of the hundreds of lures they see...i really only need like 5 of them. Also let them know that the last FOUR times i've been out, that i haven't caught anything. Hoping they don't get discouraged while i'm trying to teach a kid to have patience. Remember to show patience with them as well, be calm, and any accidental knots that may happen i explained to them it's not really a knot but twisted loops. If it looks too crazy, cut it quick & retie quicker...it'll let them see it's not frustrating though it may be : )
The basics are always boss; bread or dough, corn, worms, or even shiners. Without having a honeyhole close where they'll bite any & every dumb lure we throw at them, i think these bait & wait basics are productive as hell. I started my cousins with some corn. Threw a can out while they got a couple practice casts in then baited them up. After getting their bait stolen with no indications on the lines or bells, i told them it had to be smaller fish stealing the bait. Put more corn on then told them now just hold the pole with the line touching your finger & you'll feel them nibbling. Sure enough, bing bang boom & he got a little catfish. 1st one! Both were excited and both are super competitive as well, so it should get interesting from here! I can't lie though, hooking them up with all the gear, getting out there & getting it done was probly cooler for me than it was them. Hoping to keep getting at it! Great topic Gerry!

Last edited by Esox Luciano; 10-11-2023 at 12:39 PM..
Old 10-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Take A Kid Fishing

Glad they got their first one hopefully many more to come!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area