NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First boat - returning to NJ.com - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Site Moderator

Default Re: First boat - returning to NJ.com

PM PeanutButter&Jelly John

He took a class last year for mechanical repairs. You'll learn alot from the class and will save alot of $$$ doing your own work.

"Leaking Weep Hole" was my favorite line that I've heard of as an ambiguous charge.
NJ DEVILS
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Put water into the boat with a hose. Dont go nuts, just enough to cover the bottom with an inch. Check to see if any rivets are leaking by looking at the hull bottom. Trust me on this, been there - done that

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I may try that. I really do believe this boat is solid.

I have been looking to run the electric and think I have a handle on it but not entirely sure where the wires will go. Under the floor would be great but nervous about trying to unfasten the floor and attached compartments. I may be able to run straight through the center but not sure if it will work or If I can get a bilge pump under there or how it will be be fastened..

Saw a cool wiring harness and switch set up and am comfortable building a box for it all. Just not sure where to put the wires. I really don't want to start taking the floor up. Am I missing something really obvious here?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L
I may try that. I really do believe this boat is solid.

I have been looking to run the electric and think I have a handle on it but not entirely sure where the wires will go. Under the floor would be great but nervous about trying to unfasten the floor and attached compartments. I may be able to run straight through the center but not sure if it will work or If I can get a bilge pump under there or how it will be be fastened..

Saw a cool wiring harness and switch set up and am comfortable building a box for it all. Just not sure where to put the wires. I really don't want to start taking the floor up. Am I missing something really obvious here?

alot of times you can run them up under the gunnels, you want to keep 12 volt power wires away from your transducer cables so you dont get interference on your fish finder

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Do you mean to unfasten the gunnels and run underneath? I have to see if they will come off but that would make it easy
Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L
Do you mean to unfasten the gunnels and run underneath? I have to see if they will come off but that would make it easy
no you should be able to just look under them from inside the boat, depending on what type of rail you have,
there is usually room except the boats that have the 1" tube type gunnel
put a pic up of your boat and could prob tell you better how to do it

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Matt,
Congratulations on your new boat. My first boat was a 14 footer as well. They are great boats to learn on. Couple tips I figured out was to make sure you know what you boat will do and how it will handle waves. I wouldnt reccomend going to far out till you have a feel for the boat. Try to back up as little as possible. Smaller boats tend to take water over the stern when backing up, and they fill up quick. Starting around the end of April you will start seeing bluefish in the bay If you put the boat in Keyport and drive past the sailboats you fill find all the bluefish you want. There close enough to the shore where you can fish comfortablly and you will catch a ton. Also if you put in the raritan river either South River or Saryville and head towards the bay on the right hand side you will see an old wooded drydock with a small boat you can get in there and it holds a ton of stripers in the spring.
Good Luck
Doug
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As to the Bilge Pump. Get the largest GPH pump you can pfit. I use a 2000 GPH.

Small boats sink MUCH faster and you want the pump to empty quickly.

I have the pump directly in front of the drain plug. I cut out the false deck floor so it lays directly on the aluminum. I do not have an override switch as I have no place to mount the switch. I have just the a float switch. A compact box type. Not the floating arm switch. The floating arm type switch takes too much room in a cramped area.

Help some?

Capt. Frank
Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Frank. That makes sense and I think I can do the same. I have that cut out as well. Also agree with the 2000gph. Why screw around with less.

I also bought the suspender type auto-inflatable vests for myself. expensive but should be comfortable.

Attached is the boat. The gunnels turn to the outside of the boat so I am not sure about putting wiring out there considering the constant exposure to the water but maybe if I can secure it in there well enough. Not sure the best method
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003small.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	9362  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Matt
Very nice boat. Nice children also.
My first word is life jackets.
The Town of Rumson has a ramp that is a yearly fee, when I used it I think the cost was $80.
The channel out of there was very shallow at moon tide you would have a problem getting to the ramp.
I don't know if it was dredged, It "was on the list".
The Navesink river is a great place to fish, crab, or hang out.
There are Flounder Summer and Winter, Blue Fish, Stripers, Weakfish, Planety to keep you happy.
Several places to pull up on a beach and have a BBQ or what ever.
You can spend most of your time around the Oceanic Bridge, No Wake area.
That does not mean everyone knows that.
I fished that river for many years and caught many fish and crabs.
It is one if not the cleanest rivers in New Jersey.

As for bilge pumps I had two, one on a float/manual and one for Manual only.

DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE PLUG IN THE BACK. I think everyone has forgotten that once.
Go to a parking lot when it is not busy and learn to back up.

Good luck, Be safe,