NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Labor Day Skunk on the D - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Labor Day Skunk on the D

It was a little tough to get my butt out of bed on a rare day with no work or plans. Only a 2 block walk to the D for me. Unfortunately, I had foot surgery a week ago which means i can not put my foot in the river. This kept me off of my favorite "haunted" island in Easton. I'm sure you locals know the one. Either way, one rod rigged for the kitties, one light one with a few lures for the sammies. No love today. It was tough looking at my spot from the wrong side of the river.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Labor Day Skunk on the D

Did you see the Ga-zillions of shad fry all over the place ?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Labor Day Skunk on the D

I was fishing the river at the Route 80 bridge out of my kayak on Labor Day in the late afternoon-evening.

The rains kept the number of picnickers low and I only saw one boat with a motor the entire afternoon. The only other people on the river were dozens and dozens of those people using the canoe-rental services that pick the people up at the beach by the visitors center.

I caught about a dozen Smallmouth Bass, but they were all small. I don't think I caught a single bass over 10 inches all day.

I don't think I saw any shad fry, although the weedy shallows did have a lot of tiny minnows swimming around.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
The rains kept the number of picnickers low and I only saw one boat with a motor the entire afternoon. The only other people on the river were dozens and dozens of those people using the canoe-rental services that pick the people up at the beach by the visitors center.

Swung throhg there Saturday afternoon on my way back from Scranton (my son had his first a college cross country meet out there...Mom is very proud of her baby) and the place was a mad house. So you definitely picked the right day!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch
Swung throhg there Saturday afternoon and the place was a mad house. So you definitely picked the right day!
That area between the visitors' center and the Rt. 80 bridge can be crazy in the summer. With all the barbeques, picnics, radios blaring la salsa music, people swimming, canoes launching, and the multiple river-rafting/canoe services picking their clients up on the beach, it really gets congested and chaotic. (Welcome to New Jersey)

This summer, the rangers didn't allow parking on the roadway which cut down on the crowds a lot! Unfortunately, it had the unintended consequnce of pushing the picnickers further up Old Mine Road.