NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

round valley - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: round valley

I was actually thinking that myself after just watching an HD video showing rv. the water almost looks tropical it's so clear. go figure, jersey water that's TOO clean!! njfg has netted some monsters though and does think the next record smb and lmb will come out of rv.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: round valley

"This one is mostly a brag board" Where did that one come from, try S.O.L. People on there ask for help and you can hear the crickets.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
Sounds like you are not aware of the PM "you got mail" notification.
To set it go to the user control tab. Under Options, there is a area that you can check off to receive a notification when a PM is received.
Just trying to help... not brag
sharing user control info that others are not aware of is both egregious and bragadacious, shame on you
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

now that I think of it I didnt mark one single ball of bait fish the whole time out and I was using switchfire on max on my 998. I did mark quite a few fish in roughly 15 feet of water tho even out in deeper water which I doubt were trout the water was in the mid to high 70s, Id bet bass roaming open waters. I marked a few monsters over to the left dam wall almost at the bottom in 85 FOW but nothing big hit. I do know lake trout are damaging to baitfish population they eat like crazy, so the lunkers in there are dining on something, prob gamefish hatches
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I read on one of fishing forums that the smaller mostly trout feed on tiny, shrimp-like crustaceans called Gammarus (Scud) that lives in the deep, cool waters of the reservoir.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Pretty tough to spot-burn at RVR but I've sent PM's to posters here on where they caught their reported catch and never had anyone fail to answer me. Alternatively I've had PM's inquiring on my posts and I've answered those honestly too. I guess you just can't win as there have been posts on here lambasting people for reporting too in depth on what's happening on the Raritan.

The RVTA stopped stocking herring last year and have been funding/stocking golden shiners instead. 14,000 were stocked in the spring of this year. The hope is because these baitfish spawn up to 4 times a year and don't go deeper than 30 feet the lakers won't be able to put the pounding on them like they have the herring population.

Catching smallies from the shoreline is tough. If you park in the boatramp area your best bet is from the causeway and being prepared to part with some lures in the rocks. I've seen some nice ones in the 3 LBS range cruising and every now and then follow my lure but they're very wary over there. The best I've done there was a pound and change (below) and that was in the dark using a glow in the dark rooster tail while targetting trout (that was in October/Novemeber).

I've heard good things about the campgrounds area too, never fished there myself but if you're ready to take a long walk that's a possibility.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks moz,

I was trying to remember who said they were a RV frequenter at cat night and I thought it was you. think I'm gonna switch from hitting RV this week and hunt the RR instead for eddies "godfadda" since we got some rain.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think tomorrow I might do both.

Hit RVR at daybreak, come home midday to take my son to his elementary school's openhouse, then bring him home and then grab the lite stuff to plunk around Robets Street in the afternoon.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Wilsom. I checked off the e-mail pm notification
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz
I think tomorrow I might do both.

Hit RVR at daybreak, come home midday to take my son to his elementary school's openhouse, then bring him home and then grab the lite stuff to plunk around Robets Street in the afternoon.
mind some company? What time will your hooks be in the water at rv? I was planning on hitting Roberts street in the afternoon too. I could meet you at RV then hit my friends on Wedgewood Ave for lunch while your doing your son's openhouse. Later we can meet at Roberts Street. Let me know. Thanks

Roger