NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Taking 10 ur old for trout this weekend - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-07-2022, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Taking 10 ur old for trout this weekend

Thank you all for the replies. I am leaning towards Holmdel Park for opening day as it’s familiar, close, and seems like Spring Lake will be a zoo on Saturday.

I am thinking of going to Spring Lake on Sunday. Hopefully will be a bit less crazy and my son will like the change of venue. One question I have is can you show up at anytime at spring lake? Holmdel park opens at a set time, I think it’s 7 or 8am. Can we just get to Spring Lake at 6am on Sunday? My son loves fishing and wakes up on his own at 4:30am when we do our fluke charters. Lol

Thanks
Old 04-07-2022, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This is where I would take my 10 years old on opening day. The majority of the lake is closed off to adults during the tournament. The trout have been stocked and are swimming around and dispersing throughout the lake. No adults many fish in the kids' zone until after the tournament is over........around 1:30 or so. There are prizes for just weighing in a fish. There are refreshments and lots of stories being shared by the "old salts" from the club. This is the place to be if you have a young fisherman who wants to have good time. Just remember.........you can assist but not "fish." Case closed.

http://sharkriversurfanglers.com/con...ds%20area.html
Old 04-07-2022, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spring Lake has access 24/7. It's literally in the middle of the neighborhood by St. Catherine's Church.

Best of luck to your son!

IrishAngler
Old 04-07-2022, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Now I am curious to try Soring Lake on Saturday lol. If access is 24/7, unlike Holmdel Park, what time should we get there for opening day to set up?

Also, can anyone provide an address of the place?

Thanks. My son is excited to try it now after showing him the replies. I’m not thrilled Re the crowds but it’s about him and not me.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2022, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go to Google Maps and enter DivinePark Spring Lake N.J. You can also enter St. Catharine’s Church Spring Lake. If you can find Belmar Marine Basin, you can find Spring Lake. Time? No later than 7:00 would be my choice. Build in time for parking, rigging, and staking out a spot. Leaving the Holmdel area by 6:00 should be fine. Bring a folding chair and a stake for a rod rest. Parking is along the road that circles the lake. Let us know how your son did.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Billfisher

Thanks. Does my son have to register at a desk/table before the contest starts?
Old 04-09-2022, 11:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My son and I got a spot at 6:30am on the east side of the lake. I was really impressed how well this event is run and family oriented. I saw so many kids reeling up 3-7# trout. And for the most part, it was something for kids, not pathetic adults trying to steal a kids event.

Kudos to the organizers. I was really impressed and thanks again to those on this thread for their replies.

As to how my 10 year old son matthew did? He got 2 rainbows and a Brookie all 10”. He was angry seeing all the trophy trout coming up. In other words, it was awesome.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Plenty of pathetic adults it’s sad. Even one clown in a kayak alone. One guy took our spot and lied about having grandkids LOL. And one adult alone even had the bait cup they were handing out for free. People are repulsive

Last edited by cruiser1234; 04-09-2022 at 12:39 PM..
Old 04-09-2022, 01:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1234 View Post
Plenty of pathetic adults it’s sad. Even one clown in a kayak alone. One guy took our spot and lied about having grandkids LOL. And one adult alone even had the bait cup they were handing out for free. People are repulsive
There will always be those people in life. I did not see them today and was thankful for that. I did see the kayak guy, and another one launched near my using a 9’ surf rod. I don’t know if Tim S views this forum, but awhile back when he launched this site he would have told me “deploy bank sinkers”. I know he wouldn’t have wanted that today.

Tim S if that’s still your club that runs this, what a great and important job they do. I was impressed. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Glad you had a good day, those memories will last forever!