NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

batteries - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default batteries

I'm replacing 2 Iinterstate batteries 800cca , 1000mca reserve capacity 135. I just came from walmart and what my question is they had batt. with 690 cranking amps and about 90 amps reserve marked dc [verses mc] for about $80.00 can I use them? I don't know, I'm trying to save a buck. There for a yr/2000 150 Johnson Ocean Pro. [I might be off a couple of amps]
Old 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: batteries

Found this on another site:

COLD CRANKING AMPS (CCA)
The CCA rating represents in amps the current flow the battery can deliver for 30 seconds at 0o F. without dropping below 1.2 volts per cell (total of 7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). The higher the number, the more amps it can deliver to crank an engine.

MARINE CRANKING AMPS (MCA)
Batteries designed for marine use may be rated at MCA instead of CCA. The MCA rating method measures battery output at 32o F., not 0o F. A battery's MCA rating will be one-third higher than its CCA rating would be.
To compare two batteries when one has an MCA rating and the other has a CCA rating. multiply the CCA rating by 1.3 for the equivalent MCA rating. Or, multiply the MCA rating by 0.77 for the equivalent CCA rating. Example:

500 CCA x 1.3 = 650 MCA
or
650 MCA x 0.77 = 500 CCA

Not sure what the cranking amps requirements are for your particular engine so hard to say if the Wally Word battery you are looking at will suit your needs as far as starting the engine but since it's a 150 2 stroker it should not be that high. Also not sure what your house load is (nav lights, fish finder, GPS, etc)

Having said all this it certainly doesn't hurt to have more then you need and if the 2 Interstates worked for you then you might want to get something as close to them in terms of MCC and reserve as possible.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area