NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Registering a canoe - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-18-2022, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Registering a canoe

Hey folks. I picked up a 15 ft. Canoe secondhand, no bill of sale or original paperwork/title, but it does have a nameplate with serial number on the hull. Would like to register it to put a small trolling motor on it so I can fish central jersey waterways more easily without relying on my five-year-old to help me paddle Has anyone had experience registering something like this? Any advice on the process/paperwork?
Old 07-18-2022, 11:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Registering a canoe

I just got done with this process recently with good results. I brought the receipt which was a digital screenshot of what I paid printed out, as well as a "manufacturers certificate of origin" for the brand of canoe I had. I called their customer service and they told me to print one off their website and write the hull number on it.

I also filled out a title application just in case, but since the canoe was under 16ft I didn't actually need that, but your milage may vary. Make sure you bring plenty of ID/documentation, having extra stuff is better than getting turned away for not having what you need. It was brutal when I was there, people were getting turned away left and right lol.

check out this site - https://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php - lots of information there.

Good luck, its worth it in the end! Took mine out with the trolling motor this past weekend

Old 07-18-2022, 05:06 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thank you! That was exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for. Already got the MSO from Pelican... now we'll give it a shot!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good luck man! Hoping it all goes smoothly for you! Take it to a smaller DMV, I think the one i went to was Newton, they have less traffic and nicer agents