NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fillet knife recommendation? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fillet knife recommendation?

Yup that's the sani rinse it's dishwasher safe & doesn't hold an edge. I keep it in kitchen to just take off any little skin pieces,scales or trim red out when cooking for non fishy fish eaters. But when it comes to cutting for real gets the wooden handle old school Dexter 2333-9

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Carbon steel. The wood handled dexter as most peeps mentioned. But carbon steel in general is easier to sharpen and maintain an edge on...
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHook94 View Post
I have two fillet knives, a Rapala and a dexter. I can't stand the dexter knife and the Rapala is okay. I sharpen the blades every time I fillet fish. When I'm trying to get through the rib bones on a blackfish or sea bass, my two knives struggle big time, especially the dexter. I've been reading online that the Cutco fisherman's solution is one of the best fillet knives, but it is pretty pricey. I don't mind spending the money, but I'd like to know if it's worth it. Or if you have any other recommendations.
I have the cutco. Great for fluke, seabass, bluefish...not so much for stripers and tog, it does not get through ribs well.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Fillet knife recommendation?

I'm buying the wooden handle dexter that a lot of you recommended. Thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have the Cutco and the Dexter wood handle with carbon steel blade as well as an old Herter's Canadian filet and a very old Western. My wife likes the Cutco best. She does the fish cleaning at our house. However, we do not cut through bones with a filet knife. I use the Western because I like the way the handle fits. They probably quit making them 50 years ago.
A fishing buddy down on Chesapeake Bay cleans fish like you do, by cutting through the rib bones. He uses a discontinued Browning knife that is serrated and thick bladed just above the handle and then tapers to a thin flexible blade toward the tip. He says it is the only knife that works for his manner of fish cleaning. Of course, that knife was discontinued 10 years ago. Ted Trueblood said that if you find something you really like, buy two of them because if it is any good they will quit making it.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I am sure I'll be scorned for this but here goes. Two weeks ago we had a three man tog limit and my dad severely cut himself on the first fish. He always uses the wooden Dexter, great knife no doubt. Blood is everywhere when I realized what happened. He fileted his left ring finger between two knuckles and cut a small artery in the finger, not ideal. So my mom takes him to the hospital and they cauterize it 4 times, lot of pain. He's fine now, it's healing.

So here I am with 18 fish to clean. I rarely filet since I typically clean the boat while he does the fish. I can do fluke and skin but other than that I'm pretty worthless. My buddy also didn't know how whatsoever. So we go on YouTube and I give it a shot. Guy on my dock watches me struggle for a few minutes then finally bails me out. I offer a case of beer and he does them all for me... In 10 minutes, skinned and all!!

Here's the catch, he used an electric knife. This thing was incredible and was $14 at Walmart. Cut one side, goes right through bones almost effortlessly, then skin the piece while still attached to the tail. So I make the $14 investment, I think it was an Outdoor Angler brand and it's fantastic on the tog. My dad hates an electric knife in the kitchen and he loves this thing. Best part, besides the time factor is that I can even pull perfect filets off the fish with the thing. It takes the entire side off and doesn't lose meat at all. It does take the rib section off of the fish with the filet but I just trim them before vacuum sealing the filets since I save them for the smoker anyways. The guy who introduced me to this gem swears by it for all round fish. Seasbass, tog, cod, striper, etc. Sounds crazy but definitely worth a shot.

28' Henriques
Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It is not the handle that is problem with white handle Dexter yiu are use it is the blade material as they use stainless steel on blade which keeps nice and shiny but does not hold an edge. The wood handle version is carbon steel that look like shit from rust when not cares for but keep a killer edge that you can shave with. Look at what the mates use that do this everyday. Wipe done and rinse in fresh water and light coat of oil and put back in sheath if you ant to keep it looking pretty.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No filet knife is designed to blast through bone.. if you insist on cutting bone, get yourself a big serrated blade for that.. then you'll be amazed how much longer any filet knife stays sharp...
Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
It is not the handle that is problem with white handle Dexter yiu are use it is the blade material as they use stainless steel on blade which keeps nice and shiny but does not hold an edge. The wood handle version is carbon steel that look like shit from rust when not cares for but keep a killer edge that you can shave with. Look at what the mates use that do this everyday. Wipe done and rinse in fresh water and light coat of oil and put back in sheath if you ant to keep it looking pretty.
Thats the way I see it , look at the mates .
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As of a few hours ago... not liking the bubba blade, but that could be due to the live tog and the part when I filleted part of mucring
Finger off... just saying... it hurt, still does too!
www.quality1stcompanies.com