NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Does Pompton & Passaic Pike fishing slow down in the summertime? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-22-2015, 12:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Does Pompton & Passaic Pike fishing slow down in the summertime?

I'm having too much fun fishing for trout right now, but I plan on exploring the Pompton & Passaic Rivers for pike soon. I know that pike are classified as a "coolwater" species as opposed to warmwater or coldwater. Do the temps in the Passaic & Pompton ever get too warm to ethically fish for pike. I would like to release the fish I catch.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Does Pompton & Passaic Pike fishing slow down in the summertime?

Check your private messages.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 05-22-2015, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandesi View Post
Do the temps in the Passaic & Pompton ever get too warm to ethically fish for pike. I would like to release the fish I catch.
I have had my best days(more specifically evenings ) from mid -July thru August when its pretty darn warm. Of course its also when its at it lowest.

For whats it worth, there are quite a few smaller cold tribs(springs really) that feed the Passaic throughout its length. Not sure how much they cool the river but obviously the lower the river, the more influence they can have.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Passaic fishes well in summer because it's low and therefor you can walk it. The fish do get stressed you can tell by the redness in their fins but if handled properly can be successfully released
Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I'm also looking for some info on pompton lake I fish it almost everyday. this year we've been killing bass, but not doing to well on the pike we're looking for. This last week I pulled I'm my first pickerel which was pretty big off a crocodile spoon and my brother pulled a pretty nice pike in off a Gary 5" senko. I'm trying to Beat my last years catch of 36" and 14lbs off a spinner bait caught on my dock, this year we have a boat and am trying to find these things and am not having much luck. Any tips for this lake would be awesome. We usually fish around the sunny bank dog park area down to the dam, but just started venturing to the other side of the bridge it's a long journey on just a trolling motor lol
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Member

so yesterday I finally pulled my first pike of the year after months of fishing pompton, it was a baby that hit a red devil spoon, does anyone have any tips for fishing pompton, I've thrown everything every where and still am struggling to find these fish