NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

~*~ Keep your dogs on leash ~*~ - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default ~*~ Keep your dogs on leash ~*~

For all the negativity that eastern European fisherman get I had to share this.

Lake Hopatcong Sunday.

Finally with a solid ice fishing we are having more and more people are getting out on ice to enjoy it. Fisherman, families and what not. I seen a lot of people bringing out their dogs to enjoy ice on lakes. Incident below is a reason I stress importance of keeping your dog on a leash while ice walking it.

While fishing on Hopatcong a family came down with a dog to enjoy a walk on hard water. As we all know boat ramps at houses and clubs are mostly ice free with an open water all over them. We know that but dogs apparently don't. Behold within minutes while running around dog was in a water. While family was having a good time it was obvious that dog was not. Within minutes you could see that hypothermia set in and dog was barely staying afloat with no way to get out from water either to shore or on ice. A friend of my (god bless his soul) saw what was happening and couldn't stay there and watch... he dropped on ice and pretty much crawled to the edge spreading his weight to get to the poor dog. Now this guy was risking his own life to save a furry friend while the owners stood there with their eyes wide open. When he got to the edge, dog was already going under exhausted. To his astonishment not only dog was of the leash, it had no collar on as well. In a last moment he managed to grab dog by its ears and pull it out from water and unto safe ice. He risked his life to save a dog for people he simply never saw before in his life. Just wanted to give him thanks for his selfish action and a reminder for all of people who do enjoy taking their fur legged friends out to be vigilant and keep them on a leash. Or at least leave a collar on.

Thank you...

P.S. On a side note I know my buddy has a soft spot for gods creatures in distress since I have seen him jumping in Salmon River to save a pigeon that somehow got in a water and was drowning.

Please be safe out there and look out for your friends and pets.

Andre
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: ~*~ Keep your dogs on leash ~*~

Very, very few people (even animal lovers) would do what your friend did. I hope his efforts don't go unrecognized or taken for granted. No one does heroic things for the glory but we all rely on heroes to do what others can't or won't. A hero doesn't have to be a soldier or a uniformed first responder, everyone has a hero inside himself. When it's your turn, turn your inner hero loose.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

that's badass. but jumping into a river to save a pigeon is next level cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

On a lighter note..........Many years ago, I had a labrador retriever which was my hunting and fishing buddy for many years. He was a nut as many labrador owners might attest. I took him with me several times when I went ice fishing and seldom was he on a leash. I did hitch him up to my sled and let him pull it out onto the ice but that was it. He usually stayed by my side while I was checking tip ups but when the fishing was slow, he often would go exploring. Have you ever tried to catch up with a four-legged labrador as he galloped across the surface of a slippery ice-covered lake?

I said that he was a retriever. I don't know how many apologies I made when my dog would stroll over to another fisherman, wag his tail, sit down an wait for a pat on the head, and then pick up a perch or pickerel that the fisherman had put on the ice and then return it to me. To add insult to injury, before returning to me, he would stop by at someone's tip up and lift his leg to de-ice the hole. Fortunately, everyone was understanding and there were lots of laughs all around. You had to see it.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: ~*~ Keep your dogs on leash ~*~

Amazing story! Your friend deserves a medal or something for his act of kindness! Good stuff!!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As long as you are not a fish, he will do anything .... lol

In reality that's just the way he is .... I only recently found out about it from another friend of my since he is not a type of person who would go talking about it. He did what he thought was right and went back to fishing. If someone or something in distress, he will go out of his way to save it. If you are a fish on another hand, I would swim another way. LoL....

I wouldn't try to catch any dog, anywhere, but if you are out you are responsible for your pet and your pet actions. This story had a happy ending for all but we know it could of been much much different.

Stay safe.

Andre
Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

GREAT story!!!