NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Optimax issues - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Optimax issues

I went out Sat AM with no issues. Just as I arrived back at the marina my port engine stalled. I didn't think anything about it and docked and cleaned the boat. Sunday morning I went down to go out. The port engine was completely dead. No power at all. checked batteries and everything good. After a little digging around I found a blown 20 amp fuse on the engine. I replaced the fuse and tried again. The motor turned over but would not fire. As soon as I let go of the key the fuse blew again. Tried with another fuse, same thing. Engine turned but would not fire. so now I am looking into the key switch itself. I hope this is the issue. it would be the fastest and most cost effective solution. ANY IDEAS?

Thanks

P.S. I caught 15 fluke in three hours - No keepers
Old 08-26-2016, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Optimax issues

when the 20amp fuse blows its cause of a dead short somewhere, thats the initial protection on the eletrical side of an opti. there are other fuses behind it as well. what size opti is it and what year? the easiest way to check the key switch is to use a meter and check for continuity. Dont know how your boat is laid out but I have used the existing harness and switched it to the other side before to rule that out. Most optis 07/08 newer use the 14pin connector its pretty easy to fish out from the side cover if you have slack you can unhook bad side and try w the other side key/harness and then you know for sure
Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Optimax issues

Thanks for the information. I replaced the entire harness and switch. It seems to have resolved the issue. I hope.