NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Jon Boat Project help... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Jon Boat Project help...

I purchased new/used 12 ft aluminum lowe jon boat... It is in great condition except for a dent in the bow and horrible peeling paint job that was done on it and its missing some handles..

i am going to add new handles to bow and rear... Is it ok to just drill into aluminum and secure handles with typical bolt, washer and nut?

Also I am going to repaint.. So I need to stip old paint with sanding, scraping and then wipe with paint thinner... Let dry and then use a proper boat/marine paint... is this correct?

I was thinking of painting it in a Urban (black white gray) or (black red gray) camo finish.....
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Jon Boat Project help...

For paint, I just used regular automotive spray paint and never had any problems. It is cheaper and you can pick up at up at any home depot or lowes. For the handles the Nut, screw and washer is good but I like using rivets. I did that with mine on the oar locks, I just think it is a little safer. if you need more info there is a website tinboats.net you can get some great ideas from those guys.

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Jon Boat Project help...

Careful with dissimilar metals. SS bolts and aluminum hull. Galvanic action especially with salt water intermixed.

Do some research on best way for permanent connections. Holes are fine. But over time you do not want surprises. Especially unpleasant ones
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber