NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Landlock Record - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-03-2021, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: NJ Landlock Record

It’s always a possibility that a few larger fish were stocked. My interest is in any population surveys that might indicate any natural reproduction in any of those impoundments. Does anyone have any information?
Old 10-03-2021, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
This is the CURRENT record.

The New Jersey DFW has certified the catch of a new state record freshwater fish! This Landlocked Salmon replaced a record which stood for 67 years and is the first record salmon since stocking began in 2006.

Runelvy Rodriguez of Northvale, New Jersey, reeled in the record Landlocked Salmon on June 2, 2018. The fish weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces, eclipsing the previous state record of 8 pounds set in 1951! The fish measured 25.75″ in length and had a girth of 15″. Runelevy was fishing off a boat on Lake Aeroflex when she reeled in the fish. The fish hit while Runelevy was trolling. She was using an Okuma rod and reel. A spoon served as the lure.
anglers.

This is what is posted under her picture. Notice where it was caught.
Runelvy Rodriguez landed an 8-pound, 5-ounce salmon in 2018 while fishing Lake Tilcon, breaking the longstanding New Jersey salmon record in place since 1951.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10AC9BDF-3701-4460-9FFA-C0FD065E7128.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	153523  
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 PM
dakota560

Current state record was definitely taken from Aeroflex. As far as natural reproduction, I've seen small females cleaned on shore which were loaded with eggs. Landlocks need rivers and streams with gravel beds to spawn. Females start spawning anywhere between age 4-6. Gravel beds have to be loose enough to allow eggs to be buried 4-12 inches. Not sure that any of the four impoundments stocked in NJ have that type of habitat to support natural reproduction unfortunately. Would be awesome if they could.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:10 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
It’s always a possibility that a few larger fish were stocked. My interest is in any population surveys that might indicate any natural reproduction in any of those impoundments. Does anyone have any information?
To my knowledge Bill there's no information out there supporting natural reproduction with Atlantics taking place in this State. New England states, yes. New Jersey, none I'm aware of.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'd be cautious about over stocking them. They thought lakers wouldnt reproduce and look what they did to round valley.

It's a nice novelty but it would royally suck to see alewife populations plummet in the lakes they're currently being stocked in.

Nature ultimately finds a way...
Old 10-03-2021, 09:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
I'd be cautious about over stocking them. They thought lakers wouldnt reproduce and look what they did to round valley.

It's a nice novelty but it would royally suck to see alewife populations plummet in the lakes they're currently being stocked in.

Nature ultimately finds a way...
I am not a fan of the landlocks in certain fisheries. They definitely change the bass bite esp in the Summer/Fall, and esp on lakes that are balanced and healthy to begin with.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Holy cr@p! Makes my 1.5lb look like a minnow.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
I am not a fan of the landlocks in certain fisheries. They definitely change the bass bite esp in the Summer/Fall, and esp on lakes that are balanced and healthy to begin with.
Interesting, Roger. I guess you've been sticking with the sweetwater, huh? Wheres the videos?!?! Emerge was epic!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They won't spawn...
They don't even reproduce in the huge lakes with large feeder streams we have here in NY...They won't reproduce in NJ either, no matter how excellent the spawning conditions might be, for the same reason as here,,, They eat landlocked alewives as their primary food source.. They contain something called thiaminase- which inhibits thiamine production which is essential to egg viability... Same thing happens to lake trout,, LOADED with dead eggs.. We get natural spawning lakers in the lakes without a lot of alewives up here.. Cayuga does have some reproduction of lakers but its only about 10%,,, The same thing that keeps these salmonids alive, kills their reproductive process.. Remember landlocks are a fish that are supposed to be anadromous fish that spawn in flowing clear cold well oxygenated waters,and then grow in marine environments with a widely varied diet. Lock them up in a lake where they swim in circles gorging on fatty easy to get alewives, and they become a very different fish, with different habits and health issues than they would have in a more suitable natural environment... They are always less strong and greasy tasting when eaten than the lakers, browns and rainbows they live alongside in these lakes....bob
Old 10-03-2021, 11:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Interesting, Roger. I guess you've been sticking with the sweetwater, huh? Wheres the videos?!?! Emerge was epic!
Haha thanks Jeremy!

I might drop a couple in the dead of winter...but man after the pressure I've seen this past year, not even sure about that haha - giving people ideas right now is a bad move!