NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Landlock Record - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-03-2021, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default NJ Landlock Record

I saw this picture in a Facebook post. I understand that it being considered as a new state record landlock salmon. I don't know the backstory but Wow, that is one heck-of-a fish. For it to have been caught in NJ is even more impressive.

Kudos to the angler and to the NJDFW for their stocking program and visionary plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook_1633091411440_6849681839368854665 (3).jpg
Views:	597
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	153492  
Old 10-03-2021, 12:12 PM
dakota560

Default Re: NJ Landlock Record

Absolutely beautiful fish! Like I posted in the other thread, won't be long before a 15 lb. is caught in NJ. Don't know how big that fish is but it's a beast. Had one last year that jumped clear of the water when it hit, had him half way in and like nothing he peeled 50-60 ft of line in about 5 seconds and got me wrapped around something on the bottom. These fish are eating machines, stong as they come with that large tail and have significant growth rates in deep cold water lakes with sufficient forage.

Exactly why in my opinion, and I know there's people who don't agree with this, in the three bodies of water other than Merrill with a 12" size minimum it should be changed to either 15" like Merrill or all 4 impoundments increased to 17". This fishery if managed properly could become the best trophy fishery in the state.

Congrats to the angler on truly a catch of a lifetime!
Old 10-03-2021, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

wow, thats a 10+ fish by the look of it.
Even up here in our massive 40 mile long lakes, that is a once in a lifetime trophy.
My best is maybe 9 pounds and it was smaller than this one.
Thats an old male, and I have NO idea how it survived to get to that size in the high pressure small waters of NJ... Kudo's to the NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife.. What they have done with the limited fresh water resources they work with in NJ is just beyond amazing.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What lake was that caught? Theyll get gargantuan in Merrill.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:26 PM
dakota560

MC
Old 10-03-2021, 03:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gr8 catch being a record!! Cant tell how big really...tail doesn't look huge compared to his fingers...if its pushed out further it could pass fer 12lb..I'll say 7-8ish maybe...not knowing at all what the record was
Old 10-03-2021, 03:38 PM
Old Soft Salt

This is the CURRENT record.

The New Jersey DFW has certified the catch of a new state record freshwater fish! This Landlocked Salmon replaced a record which stood for 67 years and is the first record salmon since stocking began in 2006.

Runelvy Rodriguez of Northvale, New Jersey, reeled in the record Landlocked Salmon on June 2, 2018. The fish weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces, eclipsing the previous state record of 8 pounds set in 1951! The fish measured 25.75″ in length and had a girth of 15″. Runelevy was fishing off a boat on Lake Aeroflex when she reeled in the fish. The fish hit while Runelevy was trolling. She was using an Okuma rod and reel. A spoon served as the lure.

Last edited by Wilson; 10-03-2021 at 03:41 PM..
Old 10-03-2021, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Didn't they just start LL stocking in MC like 3 or 4 yrs ago? That's a terrifying growth rate lol. Mahi-like.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:27 PM
dakota560

Correct MC was the last of the four added to the program and stocking started 3-4 years ago......supposedly. They're absolutely a gorgeous fish. Tremendous fishery, kudos to F&G for developing it.

Last edited by dakota560; 10-03-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-03-2021, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Didn't they just start LL stocking in MC like 3 or 4 yrs ago? That's a terrifying growth rate lol. Mahi-like.
My thoughts exactly....those of us that fish it know when they started stocking and have caught some every season and seen the growth rate.....maybe they put a few in that started at 20+".... only the stockers know