NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Birthday Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Birthday Fishing

I decided that I didn't want work to be the only thing I did on my birthday, so I got up early this morning to do some shore fishing at Round Valley. Beautiful morning, the resevoir was calm and glassy, not too many boats out there either. I fished the rocks right by the boat launch for a few hours and didn't do great, but caught a small large mouth and a half a dozen rock bass. Some people don't like fishing for rock bass, but I do! I think they're some of the most fun fish to catch, especially on the UL. All in all, a great start to my birthday. Tight lines!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147680.../shares/h3CfPU

Last edited by Hookmanski; 07-13-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Birthday Fishing

happy birthday. as long as your happy that's all that matters. sure we want monster fish but any fish is good. I can remember a couple summers ago in cape may there were swarms of little blues. caught them on freshwater spinning tackle and had a blast. even broke out the flyrod.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Rock Bass are scrappy little fish. They are named appropriately as they really do prefer to live in and around rock piles. I've noticed they become very active in the evening time. I've caught a lot of them on the rock dams at Merrill Creek Reservoir. On the Delaware, they will sometimes "swarm" a spot and keep you from being able to catch anything else at that spot.

I've taken some home and eaten them. They're not bad. The meat is mild with a slight 'earthy' flavor. The problem is there just isn't much meat on a given fish.

Last edited by Eskimo; 07-13-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
happy birthday. as long as your happy that's all that matters. sure we want monster fish but any fish is good.
Thanks! And yeah, even though they were small they sure were fun!

And Eskimo, a family friend was telling me that apparently if you gut them, cut off the head and tail and deep fry them, bones and all, they taste kinda like a potato chip!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Happy Birthday. Getting out early morning in the Valley when hardly anyone is about isa nice way to get it started!

How treacherous was that walk down the rocks? The water levels have gotten better but that looks like a good deal of uphill real estate in the first picture.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Happy Birthday. Getting out early morning in the Valley when hardly anyone is about isa nice way to get it started!

How treacherous was that walk down the rocks? The water levels have gotten better but that looks like a good deal of uphill real estate in the first picture.
Thank you! With the water level down you can actually walk down the boat ramp and off to the right side where there is a sandy beach. It brings you right along the waters edge to the start of the rocks. So luckily I didn't have to walk up or down that hill, just along the water! That being said, a lot of those rocks are loose and you could easily twist an ankle. I've sprained my left ankle 5 times so I have to be careful! But it's totally worth it.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

happy birthday i am glad to hear that you got some fish on your b-day i myself always fish on my birthday god bless and many more
Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Birthday Fishing

A birthday well spent! Happy Birthday dude! Enjoy it!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys! It was a great day.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Happy Birthday Ski!!!😄😄Sounds like a good day to me! I'm itching to wet a line...fish or no fish!

Salute!!!🍻