NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sea bass jig questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 11-05-2021, 07:05 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Sea bass jig questions

Going on a sea bass trip in a few weeks 50-80 miles out. Would like to try jigging a little bit. Looking at hammered spoons but open to other suggestions. What would be some good weights to order to get down to the bottom with 30-50# braid?
Old 11-05-2021, 08:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sea bass jig questions

I like a 6oz hammered diamond jig with a chartreuse hoochie teaser 2' up the leader. I have some 6oz glow diamond jigs to try this season early in the morning.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:34 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I was guessing 8 and 12 oz spoons. Should I go 6 and 8 or 6 and 10?
Old 11-07-2021, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmill View Post
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I was guessing 8 and 12 oz spoons. Should I go 6 and 8 or 6 and 10?
You will be fishing 160' to 220' of water. Spoons sink slower than diamond jigs so you might opt for faster sinking jigs. Also you could be dealing with ripping currents. 10 oz is the heaviest that I have had to go to with a 30lb mono topshot around 25' and 40lb braid. The topshot will help with tangles. Braid on braid tangles are the worst. Breaking off straight braid when your hung up is hard to do. That's why I use the lighter topshot on all my bottom rods. Catch um up and let us know how you did.

Last edited by Ol Pedro; 11-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Adjustment
Old 11-07-2021, 08:51 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Woops I meant hammered diamond jigs. Planning on using fc leader. Should I order some 6's and 8's? Was thinking gold since it'll be deep and at night? I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dont waste fluoro on sea bass dude. Just use mono. They're not line shy and you wont need the abrasion resistance or stealth, esp if they're stacked up.

I prefer gold hammered jigs as light as I can possibly use...4, 6 and maybe 8s. If its ripping and 8 is scoping too much I put the jigs away and drop a 12, 14 or 16 oz sinkers on hi lo rigs.

They're sea bass. You dont need anything fancy. The primary upsides of yo yo-ing jigs are bigger fish hit them and its fun.

If there's a bio mass under the boat and they're snapping, you can catch them on band aids lol...
Old 11-07-2021, 11:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmill View Post
Woops I meant hammered diamond jigs. Planning on using fc leader. Should I order some 6's and 8's? Was thinking gold since it'll be deep and at night? I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
I agree with Jigman, keep it simple. No need for floro. It's a little dark down there. I like the chartreuse hoochie Squid teaser because I think that they can see it better. Sometimes we are set up on the wreck in the dark that's why I would try the green glow diamond jig. I have caught doubles jigging with silver diamond/hoochie Squid in the dark. Watch the others around you and adjust to the conditions. Have your bait stick ready .