NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Combo - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-08-2021, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Combo

What is a good combo for someone who wants to start black fishing ? Do not want to break the bank
Old 12-08-2021, 06:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Combo

Not for nuttin. Grab a stick and start swinging. I started using the pole I used for everything and moved from there. If you get the bite down on a stick you own already, just use it. Then when you get it down and are catching fish , the bite will change.. lol.Guys I fish with have 500$ rods and I out fish them with a 200$ outfit. Good luck, have fun!!
Old 12-08-2021, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I second Foul Hook. 30lb test on a Jigmaster jr or Squidder jr and a rod capable of handling 12 oz of lead. The same gear that I just used to catch Stripers last week. I have caught more Tog on mono than braid. Just use what you have and tweak as you go. I hate to see someone spend a lot on tackle and decide that Togging isn't for them.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have never spent more than $250 for a decent graphite rod and bait casting reel combo. I prefer 7ft medium heavy setup. Like the rest of the guys said you can use this outfit for tog, bass and fluke etc! Tight lines!
Old 12-10-2021, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a Tallus Bluewater rod and Torium 14 loaded with 30lb Sufix 833
Old 12-22-2021, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The 30 pound braid will be a heartbreaker sooner or later. If you are fishing into January, 50 is a minimum!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisb View Post
The 30 pound braid will be a heartbreaker sooner or later. If you are fishing into January, 50 is a minimum!
I learned my lesson.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:39 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

If you are rig fishing with heavy sinkers you don't need anything special or expensive, as long as the rod can handle the weight of the sinker and you have some backbone to get the fish out of the wreck and decent tip to get a good hook set. No noodle rods here with too light a tip and practically any conventional reel with a decent amount of drag will do.

If you're planning to fish with jigs, that's an entirely different story. You need to invest in a lightweight set up in order to work and feel the lighter weight jigs make contact with the bottom and to feel the little ticks.

Here's some stuff on the site which goes into a bit more detail which might help you:
- This one which is fishing with rigs https://www.njfishing.com/NJ_Blackfish_Fishing.php
- This post talks about jig fishing https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99595

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-21-2022 at 09:04 AM..