NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Partyboat striper tackle & lures: What to bring? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-06-2021, 11:49 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Partyboat striper tackle & lures: What to bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolmann View Post
Gerry, is that a picture of one of your flutter spoons ? If so, I recommend that you remove that treble (as that is treble is mor suited for largemouth bass and will bend out on even bonus size striper) and replace it along with the split ring for a heavier VMC treble.

If you notice in the stores they are now putting out the Ben Parker Flutter spoons that are labeled for saltwater and they have the heavier trebles/rings.
Thanks Doc I need to get that done... I noticed the spit rings on one of them is already rusting out even though it was rinsed after each use.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-06-2021, 06:15 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Stopped in to see Pete today to get the hardware changed out on my Flutter Spoon, thanks Pete...

He's fully stocked with them for those of you looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AH flutter spoons.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	155238  

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-06-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Old 12-07-2021, 04:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
No tackle shop in AH Harbor any longer. The Lure Jensen spoons you mentioned look like the flutter spoons but are smaller. You might give them a try but the spoons I picked up from Pete at AH Bait and Tackle and what most are using are 8 inches long and failrly thin/light weight. Pretty simple to work, cast them out, let them flutter down to the bottom and vertical yo yo jig them with an agressive lift of your pole tip and repeat...

BTW - The other day the shads and poppers were getting mostly shorts and the Flutter Spoon got the 28" plus keepers...
Thanks much for the detailed reports! I'll pack shads, poppers, couple crippled herring and flutter spoons.
Based upon your recommendation (and that of some tackle shops I've spoken with), I'll change out the hardware on this spoons.
I hope I can get a day in this weekend and the weather doesn't spoil it. This will be my last shot at stripers, perhaps ever. Unfortunately we're moving west next year.
Best regards!
JD
Old 12-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
Thanks much for the detailed reports! I'll pack shads, poppers, couple crippled herring and flutter spoons.
Based upon your recommendation (and that of some tackle shops I've spoken with), I'll change out the hardware on this spoons.
I hope I can get a day in this weekend and the weather doesn't spoil it. This will be my last shot at stripers, perhaps ever. Unfortunately we're moving west next year.
Best regards!
JD
FYI the new flutter spoons Pete has in stock have the updated hardware so no need to switch out the rings and trebel hooks...

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-11-2021, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
No tackle shop in AH Harbor any longer. The Lure Jensen spoons you mentioned look like the flutter spoons but are smaller. You might give them a try but the spoons I picked up from Pete at AH Bait and Tackle and what most are using are 8 inches long and failrly thin/light weight. Pretty simple to work, cast them out, let them flutter down to the bottom and vertical yo yo jig them with an agressive lift of your pole tip and repeat...

BTW - The other day the shads and poppers were getting mostly shorts and the Flutter Spoon got the 28" plus keepers...
Thanks I'm gonna see Pete early Monday morning.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I was on the Fisherman with my son yesterday. We caught all our bass on a 7” Dartspin on a 1.5 ounce jighead.

I also had the following with me (& bring the again if i go) ;

-Storm Shads in the 6, 7 & 9 inch sizes as well as the 6.5 inch heavy shads (you could just bring the same size shad bodies and various size jigheads).
-Flutter spoons 8 & 9 inch versions in either white, chartreuse or broken glass.
-A topwater plug (I’ve been using a 1 ounce Zara Spook XT in bone) but you could also use a Smack-It or similar popper. SP minnows been working too (but treble hooks are a PIA in the net).
-3 ounce Crippled Herring for the bay and 5 ounce for ocean
-7 inch Dartspins with a few different weights of jigheads to place them on

Unless things change and sandeels start showing up you can leave the AVA jigs at home. I’d also leave the Krocodile spoons at home.

Depending on which set up I’m using my topshot is either #25 or #30. I use a 4-6 foot length of mono with a TA clip on the end for ease in changing lures.

7 foot M or MH action spinning rod is all you need as most of the bass now are schoolies, bonus tag size (24-27.99 inches) or smaller keepers from 28-32 inches.
I'm fishing w/ Capt. Derrick on Fisher Price Monday.
Most nice bass I see seem to have a 9" chartruce flutter spoon attached to it's jaw.
Do you guys prefer a spinner or conventional to work those spoons?
Thanks in advance.
JD
Old 12-11-2021, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Most nice bass I see seem to have a 9" chartruce flutter spoon attached to it's jaw.
Thanks in advance.
JD
You should slay them with Derrick as he’s been on them good.

I’ve been fishing flutter spoons on spinning gear (although I’m not totally happy with the rod I’ve been using) and more than likely will be buying a rod strictly dedicated for flutter spooning after the holidays. 90% sure on which rod I’ll be buying but as yet still undecided if it will be the spinning or conventional model.

I will say that IMHO you want a rod that’s at least 7’6” in length with 8’ being optimal. I feel that the longer rod gives you more of a lift of the spoon when you jig it & thus more ‘flutter time’ on the drop. You also want a rod with a soft tip but with plenty of backbone

Last edited by Skolmann; 12-15-2021 at 07:42 AM..
Old 12-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
JD
I get excited and kinda loose my mind every time I see the birds working and often times you'll find yourself having to cast in all sorts of different directions and positions to get your lure casted where you want it. Unless you have a well trained thumb, you'll wind up with a lot of birds nests using a conventional which is why I prefer spinners, especially when tossing lighter stuff..

Since the downward flutter of these spoons is what triggers the most strikes, they are designed to be long and on the lighter side so they don't sink as fast and flutter longer.

A longer, softer tipped pole does 2 things for you here.
1) Since the spoons are light, a longer rod with a softer tip allows you to load the rod tip up and cast them easier.
2) Since most strikes happen on the downward flutter, as Skolmann mentioned above, a longer rod with a softer tip helps you lift and whip the spoon higher off the bottom which means more time for the spoon to sink/flutter, do it's thing and trigger strikes.

Good luck on Monday, make us proud!

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-12-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Old 12-15-2021, 05:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
You should slay them with Derrick as he’s been on them good.

I’ve been fishing flutter spoons on spinning gear (although I’m not totally happy with the rod I’ve been using) and more than likely will be buying a rod strictly dedicated for flutter spooning after the holidays. 90% sure on which rod I’ll be buying but as yet still undecided if it will be the spinning or conventional model.

I will say that IMHO you want a rod that’s at least 7’6” in length with 8’ being optimal. I feel that the longer rod gives you more of as lift of the spoon when you jig it & thus more ‘flutter time’ on the drop. You also want a rod with a soft tip but with plenty of backbone
See below
Old 12-15-2021, 05:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I get excited and kinda loose my mind every time I see the birds working and often times you'll find yourself having to cast in all sorts of different directions and positions to get your lure casted where you want it. Unless you have a well trained thumb, you'll wind up with a lot of birds nests using a conventional which is why I prefer spinners, especially when tossing lighter stuff..

Since the downward flutter of these spoons is what triggers the most strikes, they are designed to be long and on the lighter side so they don't sink as fast and flutter longer.

A longer, softer tipped pole does 2 things for you here.
1) Since the spoons are light, a longer rod with a softer tip allows you to load the rod tip up and cast them easier.
2) Since most strikes happen on the downward flutter, as Skolmann mentioned above, a longer rod with a softer tip helps you lift and whip the spoon higher off the bottom which means more time for the spoon to sink/flutter, do it's thing and trigger strikes.

Good luck on Monday, make us proud!
So the striper jigging 6 pack was everything I could hope for. The weather was nice, and the boat was FAST w/ twin 300's. It got to the grounds sooner and was easier to stay on the fish than a larger party boat. We used 8' flutter spoons in chartreuse and gold shattered glass, and heavy*9" rubber shads. Conventional was the way to go for jigging the spoons and spinning for casting and swimming the shads. I picked right up on jigging the spoons as it was similar to jigging for cod.*
The amount of life out there was impressive. Both my friend & I lost count but we're guessing we each caught between 10 & 15 stripers.*The charter experience was completely different than a party boat. Easier, less time, and less hassle. If I had the time I would certainly do it again. I would also highly recommend Derek and his boat Fisher Price.
Thanks for the tips!
Best regards,
JD