NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Monster NJ Wild Brown in a May Snow Squall (5/9/20) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Monster NJ Wild Brown in a May Snow Squall (5/9/20)

After running a bunch of errands, I headed out for a few hours to fish for NJ wild browns. First few holes I hit didn't have a sign of life, which was a little unusual. I kept working my way upstream and got slammed at the next spot. Ended up being a solid fish.

I continued to work my way up river, through the craziest May weather I've seen. At the next spot, I missed a fish and jumped a nice rainbow.

The next spot was a perfect looking hole. Despite how great it looked, I've never seen a fish there. This was going through my head as I fired off the first cast. About halfway through the retrieve, I had a fish swipe at the lure. My initial thought was that it was a jumbo brown. The fish followed the lure to the bank, and I saw how thick it was, but didn't get a great look. I was expecting to get slammed the next cast, but it didn't happen. Nothing on the next few casts. At this point, I started to reason with myself that it probably wasn't as big as i thought...maybe just a large average fish. My coping mechanism for missing a big fish haha.

I continued to cast as a snow squall closed in, and the fish finally crushed my lure. It was a violent strike, and a tense fight as I could see it was a big fish. The trout came to the surface thrashing wildly and I saw my opportunity and netted him. An absolute monster. My second largest NJ wild brown.

Called it a day after that, and walked back to the car in an insane snow squall. First time I can remember one in May.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Monster NJ Wild Brown in a May Snow Squall (5/9/20)

Beautiful fish! I'm not sure if it's the unusual temps, more pressure than usual, or just me doing something different but I've been finding a lot of fish in areas that are usually dead across the board
Old 05-16-2020, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Monster NJ Wild Brown in a May Snow Squall (5/9/20)

Tank Brown my brother! Beautiful fish! What a day that was! I was out in that snot all day bouncing from river to river. At one point in the afternoon it was hailing! Friggin nuts!
Old 05-16-2020, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome fish and great story. Sounds like a once in a lifetime day weather wise. Being out in that weather and catching a brown trout that big is the best! Tight Lines!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I guess the May snow got the brown crazy and finally bit. Well at least i went crazy when i saw the weather, lol. Nice brown
Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Great fish!