NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2 Middle Fingers Up - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2 Middle Fingers Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN D
i have the same problem, i cant register my boat because it was given to me by a friend who used it a long time ago and he dosent know the make model or year. so i figure i will just use it and if i get a ticket, its easier than going through the headache of finding all of this info
Try this, have a family member write a letter saying they sold u the boat. If its never been registered theres no way for them to know WHO sold it to you. Then, there should be a tag somewhere on the stern that tells u some info (make, model, vin). Last 2#s of the vin gives you the year. Make sure to include all that info in the letter, have them sign it, get it notorized, and see what happens.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident 13
Same for me. 11'6" boat talked to DMV told me had to get coast guard or njsmp went to see them in sea bright told me with no title they could not do inspection those stupid ****ers don't know the laws 12ft and under does not need to be registered. Nj and u perfect together not nj state police can suck it don't do shit there in sea bright
Actually, no matter what the size, if it has a motor it must be registered.

They told me to go to the marina twice. The thing is, taking the boat to the marina is to obtain a title. Boats 12ft or less don't need a title to be registered. The notorized bill of sale acts as your title. Those special people just don't know their jobs.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had a similar problem - bought a boat and trailer. the trailer never leaves the marina - but had a problem last year and needed to tow it. I didn't have the trailer registered. I went to MVC and told them I didn't have the title for the trailer and I tried to register it as a homemade. They wouldn't let me do it (I think because it was over 17ft.). They sent me a packet that needs to be filled out - some kind of proof of ownership packet. I first have to fprove that there isn't a lien on the trailer. But not in just NJ...you have to do a lien search in 5 surrounding states! then they send you another packet which must be filled out and turned in in order to get a title.
I stopped the process when I hung up the phone. If I have to trailer it...so be it...i'll take my chances!
it's red tape BS
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

True that 12 foot cut off. That is unless you put an electric or gas motor on it. Then there is no size limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident 13
Same for me. 11'6" boat talked to DMV told me had to get coast guard or njsmp went to see them in sea bright told me with no title they could not do inspection those stupid ****ers don't know the laws 12ft and under does not need to be registered. Nj and u perfect together not nj state police can suck it don't do shit there in sea bright
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The whole point of this crap is singular.

Prove it isn't stolen.

DMV or C has always been a collectionof billegrent misfits anyway. Doen'y matter what you call it- just same clowns in a different circus.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I know a perfectly legal way to get tags for a trailer if you don't have the title, regardless of size.

It will cost less than $100 and none of the $$ goes to me. I am just trying to help fellow anglers/boaters.

PM me and I will give you the steps.