NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Where can I Buy Live Eels for Delware River Near Phillipsburg - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-18-2017, 12:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Where can I Buy Live Eels for Delware River Near Phillipsburg

Guys, I know I asked this question about six months ago, but I've misplaced the note regarding recommendation. Something about a place in Pennsy near Regelsville? Me, my son, and a friend are going Saturday night, and by the way, if any of you want to show up, we'll be below the Pohatcong, that hole. Just thought I'd throw this invitation in, but it would be a pleasant surprise. Just don't get there before 10:30 and steal our spot! Used to buy eels from what's his name in Phillipsburg, but he's passed away and his cozy basement bait shop is gone.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Where can I Buy Live Eels for Delware River Near Phillipsburg

Found River Rats Easton online. Just goes to show NJ Fishing.com is my go-to for information, ahead of just Googling.

Plan on buying eels Wednesday & good luck at keeping them alive. Also plan on fishing Lehigh for smallmouths. Bought a one-day license.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

River rats has been closed for 2 years. If you find a spot to get them let me know. I've been looking too.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I know this is a haul for you but, worked nearby before retirement, I used to get mine at :

Victor's Fish Market 109 Adams St. Newark, NJ 973-589-2384

Sold by the pound as a delicacy in the Portugese community.
Check out his huge live tank. Tell him you don't want the snakes as they're for bait, and bring a cooler. He'll line it with ice & newspapers.
Two or three years since I was last there, but worth a call.
Tight lines,
Tom K.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKaye View Post
I know this is a haul for you but, worked nearby before retirement, I used to get mine at :

Victor's Fish Market 109 Adams St. Newark, NJ 973-589-2384

Sold by the pound as a delicacy in the Portugese community.
Check out his huge live tank. Tell him you don't want the snakes as they're for bait, and bring a cooler. He'll line it with ice & newspapers.
Two or three years since I was last there, but worth a call.
Tight lines,
Tom K.
Thanks. I called Muellers south of Easton. Mostly, that place is a restaurant, and I knew well enough not to mention eels to the girl who answered the phone! I said fishing bait, and she directed me to the other part of the store, a different, unlisted (apparently) phone number. I was told on that line that eels will be in on Thursday, so I told him I'll come Friday. (Now I have to drive out to fish tomorrow, then again Friday, but no complaint really, I'd not have time to fish Friday morning.) I felt a little uneasy....like, will he really have the eels. So thanks for this Newark number. And Newark's not much more time driving than Easton area.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just head down at night with some night crawlers and in a couple hours you'll have more then enough for bait. I fish the Big D at night on the regular and they drive me nuts, that river is loaded with them! They harass are catfish baits all night. I almost always use live sunnies at night now for the cats because of the eels, they just pick at your chunk bait continuously. Forget using crawlers or liver cause bait don't even last 5 min in the stretch of the river I fish with all the eels. But they do make a awesome bait for stripers and muskies, if there small enough small mouth destroy them also!!
Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Where can I Buy Live Eels for Delware River Near Phillipsburg

Go to the D&R canal at night and catch all the eels you want !! Who buys bait ???