NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How come? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default How come?

Fishing PB's at the canyons with the whales, sometimes they're 30-40' quite visible from the rail at the boat and with up to 24 lines in the water, some straight down, near vertical, why don't they pickup lines, spooling reels? Even when they're a bit off with lines at various depths, never saw it happen here on the East coast--Sun fish and porpoise--yes.
Should we worry about it or will all the Wright whales be eliminated by props and bow ballast extensions from tankers and cargo super ships...
Thought about this for several years now. Is there an answer???
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: How come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy Guy View Post
Fishing PB's at the canyons with the whales, sometimes they're 30-40' quite visible from the rail at the boat and with up to 24 lines in the water, some straight down, near vertical, why don't they pickup lines, spooling reels? Even when they're a bit off with lines at various depths, never saw it happen here on the East coast--Sun fish and porpoise--yes.
Should we worry about it or will all the Wright whales be eliminated by props and bow ballast extensions from tankers and cargo super ships...
Thought about this for several years now. Is there an answer???
Chuckie, we had them go directly under the boat with no problems. Could it be that they displace so much water that it works like a force field pushing the lines out of the way?
Dolphin and Mola Molas may actually be going for the bait and get foul hooked. I know that down south the Dolphin/Porpoise bite trolled Balihoo off right behind the hook. A learned technique?
Old 03-22-2024, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Fishing off Naples, FL a few years ago with a friend. We ran into a school of Jack Crevalle. For over 40 minutes, every Jack we hooked was taken off the hook by dolphins. We tried to hand feed one a live Jack but they would only come within about 12- 18" but never bit. Lotsa fun
Old 03-22-2024, 04:53 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Fishing off Naples, FL a few years ago with a friend. We ran into a school of Jack Crevalle. For over 40 minutes, every Jack we hooked was taken off the hook by dolphins. We tried to hand feed one a live Jack but they would only come within about 12- 18" but never bit. Lotsa fun
Had a similar experience fishing the gulf side of Florida up around the Boca Grande area in one of the smaller passes.. We and a few other boats were into the Snook pretty good... After a while the Dolphin caught on and would cruise from boat to boat whenever someone hooked up and take the fish. One actually scared the crap out of us when he scooted out from underneath the boat to take a Snook we were just about ready to land. He didn't get that one and I think it kind of pissed him off because he gave us a big tail slam practically soaking that side of the boat.

Amazingly smart and playful creatures with personalities too. In certain areas you're almost guaranteed to tease them into to your boat if you make slow speed stern squat and throw them a nice bow wake to play in.

Nothing like the outdoors to give you those moments to witness and appreciate Gods creations.

Gonna start another thread here and get some other stories going as I'm sure a lot of us on here have seen some pretty cool things.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-24-2024, 04:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pete, never thought about that possibility---that's a distinct probability---the more I think about it, the more I think that's the reason. Have seen them swim from under the boat, 20-25 ft down and no pickups with lines straight down.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the whales?

Just about all who fish the blue water can relate porpoise encounters either in the northeast, down south or out west--out there, seal stories also.

New adventures await in the blue this year.
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)