NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New state record Muskie ? - Page 8 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New state record Muskie ?

It was reported at 48 inches with a 26 1/2 inch girth.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Where was it recorded? If you know
Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I don't know. I found those stats in an old Manny Luftglass book that was written around the time the fish was caught. Apparently, some people question whether it was ever weighed on a certified scale. 43 pounds is a lot of weight for a 48 inch fish, but if it truly had a 26 1/2 inch girth than it's possible. I don't even get into conversations with people who try to discredit that fish. As far as I'm concerned it's legit until someone proves otherwise. Congrats to Bob and congrats to you on two spectacular fish.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Incidentally my had the same girth but was 51.5". I'm working on verification of the facts cause many don't believe Bob's record was legit.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This isn't a new debate. There is debate surrounding almost every record catch in the history of fishing. With all due respect, enjoy your catch and don't spend too much time "verifying facts" to discredit someone else's fish so that you can get you name in the record books.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Frankly It's not about recognition but about honesty. If I was able to weigh the fish remotely like Bob did, I would have had the record regardless whether or not his was legit or not. The new system allows for a bit of credibility to our certified scale system vs shops being able to say someone brought in a record so that fishermen flock to buy useless expensive lures or rods. Historically speaking numerous records got overthrown due to people coming forth with info countering the lie, if any. Of course all questions can be questioned, but not in the modern age of technology and now especially since NJ instituted a new system. It's not fair to all of us that some records were recorded on an honor system while others had to wait to have their fish properly weighed in. There is extensive statistical data on musky size vs length from northern states and not a one 48 inch fish reached 40 pounds.
I guarantee it will become harder and harder to get a record in NJ as the Amex predators will be faced with shortage of forage of appropriate size to make them grow. Just venting, but personally I would never lie about a fish size. Just me.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

LOL, you're nutty bro. Let it go. Look man, all I do is fish musky and I'll be the first to tell you that I'm jealous and would have love to have caught this fish myself. That being said, there will certainly be fish of this caliber that are caught through the years, and probably have been caught, but released and not reported. The muskies in this state are getting bigger, not smaller. Probably 90 percent of the muskies caught in this state, some over 50 inches, are caught by the same 20 or so guys, released and the pics are shared on private text messages and not message boards. The only reason you may not see a new musky record is that almost all of the musky guys I know would release a state record fish, and some of them probably have.

And if honesty is your quest, maybe you can look into whether the state record pike was actually caught in Pines Lake and not Pompton. Because if it was caught in Pines Lake, which everyone knows it was, it would be disqualified since Pines is a private catch and release only lake. And hmmm, that also makes a 4 and a half pound crappie out of Pompton look a little suspicious too. And isn't it curious how the picture of the state record carp was taken with water in the background, even though you can clearly see that the fish has been dead for several days. Since you seem to be the ambassador for honest fishing records, maybe you can clear up all these mysteries while you're NOT looking for recognition.

Ha ha!!! I'm done. G'night.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think you are only telling me this is because those 10 guys which constantly fish for murkies and are after the record have not succeeded while a relative novice musky fisherman has. How many of you holding a record in your hands would opt to release vs keeping it for an official weigh in. I don't know anyone who would not strongly consider it.
I don't keep what I don't eat and I would not eat a musky but I would certainly weigh in a potential record if I thought I had one as I think many of us would.
Yes, there r many questionable records but the honesty lies with the fisherman to a point with the other side of it remains with the validity of the size based on witnesses and a valid scale, I had 3 people on our boat witness my fish and its original weight. I only wish the State can take our word for it they did for Bob. iGFA can certainly certify our scale as they do for line class records.
Good night.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

why don't you go talk to bob.he is a great guy and I have fished with him on
the lake quite a few times.no need to drag his name around as dishonest or otherwise,just go talk to him.he fishes river stix allot thru the ice.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I did not say he was dishonest. Many indicate the shop at monksville was. I said I would never embellish. I wish I could fish w Bob but not in river Stix. After his catch I tried fishing monksville for muskies too. He was my inspiration. I would also like to inspire up and coming anglers one way or another.
Closed Thread