NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Rivermonster - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 AM
dakota560

Default Re: NJ Rivermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysky View Post
Looks like lower river in Garfield.
Why would anyone attempt to burn a spot for someone who just caught a fish of a lifetime and elected to share it with everyone on the site? The guy was decent enough to share the pic for all to enjoy, I don't think trying to blow his location is a fitting way of thanking him in return. Comments like that do nothing but deter others from posting for fear their honey hole will be standing room only next time they go. A little common courtesy goes a long way. You wouldn't want your favorite locations exposed on a public web site, I'm sure the same courtesy shown to others would go a long way in return.

Dakota
Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
dakota560

Esox,

That is one amazing fish, congrats on the catch and more so the release. Fish certainly looks like she was eating well........nice to see this kind of fishery exists locally. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Dakota
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What a monster... and from NJ... congrats on the fish and the release... a trophy for sure
Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

In my opinion whether or not its a record isn't that important. You released your fish which is the ultimate selfless act for an angler. That fish could grow to 50" now and be caught by another angler.

I tip my cap to you for the best p river pike I've seen and even more so for the release. Well done sir.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hellz YEAH! !!! Very Impressive!!! U got some serious braggin rights bro.. Ill be stareing at that thing 4 a while
Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Epic fish dude! Congratulations.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Keeping this thread going...

Great fish!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

wow, this really makes me want to get on the Passaic ASAP. Awesome fish man, you're killing it.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

** *Alriiiight, THANKS GUYS!! I'm putting it on! Thanks to the great feedback and visual/oral tailoring, THIS BELT FITS PERFECT!!*
** Great looking pike in the other photos posted but after reviewing them with some of NJ's more elite anglers( you guys), hard and softwater, it's kinda hands down. The fish, as well as I, simply just has more girth. If, I, held his fish in my hands, it'd look smaller because I'm bigger, and strong enough to hold it properly (horizontally). With the weight it had my fish's head woulda peeled off it's body had I misheld it (vertically). Like Gnuisance said,"That fish could grow to 50" now and be caught by another angler. " Envy or curiosity lead someone there since my catch & all they have to show for it is trash left behind.
** I can't stop you from fishing @any of my spots, but take your garbage out when you bring it in, don't be a dirtbag!!!!
** And if you're not, hope to see you out there sometime, at any of my spots. Just don't cross my line, hahaa!! Thanks again for everything, TIGHT LINEZ FELLAZ!!*
** * *& A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

p.s. I'll be accepting all unofficial contenders via pm... GET@ME!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Hey guys. I am new to the board but not new to fishing NJ waters (30+ years). I have visited this board a few times to read reports and felt the time was right to register and start giving back. What pushed me to register was the urge to reply to this thread. To echo all the folks here, this is one hell of a Pike. More impressive, it came from NJ, one step further, it came from the Passaic (did not intend to blow up your location, seems it is pretty clear where you are by the picture and the replies). For a long time, this fishery was considered dead and the high pollution levels in these waters made it laughable to think it would ever come back to produce trophy class fish. Most of you veteran Passaic fisherman already know this. I know a lot of the biologists who manage our NJ waters and have followed their efforts to get the Passaic back on it's feet. These guys did one hell of a job creating an amazing Pike fishery and this recent catch is proof of their successful efforts. Back to Esox Luciano. Bravo, sir! So glad it was you who caught this fish. It is so important to have experienced anglers out there who realize the importance of C&R and to have a high respect for a mature fish that is so important to a fishery. Well done not only on the capture but on the successful release! Regarding the post defending you on sharing your report. Anyone can look at the background of a picture and report chase. You risked exposing your location to share this great report with the board. Cudos again! Anyone can call out a location on a board, have some respect for the angler who shared this great report. As for the numbers, one reply was spot on. It is so hard to tell from a picture. The example of the two shots of the state record is proof of that. The horizontal pic looks like a 40" 20# fish. The vertical hold really shows the fish's true size. Heart breaking that fish was taken but that is a whole other religious debate. Bottom line, not many anglers know just how rare and difficult it is to catch a fish like this in NJ. Congrats! No one can dispute this is a fish of record size. I would urge you to be careful with the self proclaimed anointing, however. That said, I would rather have someone release a fish and assume it is a record, than kill it to prove it is. Again, estimating the weight of an Esox from one picture is extremely difficult. You saw the fish in the flesh and you are entitled to your opinion nonetheless. No one can take away from you the fact that you have accomplished an amazing feat capturing this giant. In the past, I have asked an expert in photo forensics to help me size muskies that were not measured or weighed. Google Larry Ramsell and send your picture to him. He will also tell you that it is extremely difficult to size a fish (especially the weight) from one picture but I don't think there is anyone out there that is better than Larry. I would also suggest sharing this picture with the team at NJDFGW. Pictures of fish like this help them gain continued support and funding for their stocking efforts in an environment of increasing cutbacks and shrinking budgets. One last tidbit to chew on. I have seen a lot of the data from the netting of muskies for brood stock. In order for a musky to reach 30 libs, it typically needs to be 48" and real heavy or longer. I'll stop preaching now and say congratulations on an awesome catch and more importantly, for being a conservationist. Thanks for sharing this awesome experience.