NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-06-2017, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

Quick update from nj.com:

Good morning Jeremy,

Thank you for passing this information on to us. We will have a reporter follow up on the sediment ending up in Spruce Run.

Best regards,

Craig

Craig Turpin,*Community Editor

NJ Advance Media

200 Route 31 North

Suite 200

Flemington, NJ 08822
Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Quick update from nj.com:

Good morning Jeremy,

Thank you for passing this information on to us. We will have a reporter follow up on the sediment ending up in Spruce Run.

Best regards,

Craig

Craig Turpin,*Community Editor

NJ Advance Media

200 Route 31 North

Suite 200

Flemington, NJ 08822
thanks for passing it on Jigman! I also reported this story to News 12 who apparently picked it up for their Friday afternoon newscast (I was working so i missed it ). We have to bring as much awareness to this issue as possible!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I'm not sure why it says apparently. Some people I've spoken to in local government seem to want this issue kept on the down low, which is why I will continue to speak out about it. From what I've heard, the quarry will be receiving some hefty fines, and rightfully so, but i don't think that is nearly enough. This should never happen again. I'm thinking about making up a petition to try and get the quarry to stop using the creek as a sewer for their stone sludge. There HAS to be a better way.
there was A LOT of opposition when they were looking to acquire additional acreage for the expansion project I referenced in the previous links, if that's the source (don't know if the expansion was approved) there may be political ramifications. if they deny responsibility the cleanup could be delayed while the court determines culpability.

can't find the story on NJ12, searched for Glen Gardner, Spruce Run, Eastern Concrete, and there's nothing about it on the 'environment' page- http://newjersey.news12.com/category...ey-environment

Last edited by tycomps; 08-06-2017 at 01:57 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
there was A LOT of opposition when they were looking to acquire additional acreage for the expansion project I referenced in the previous links, if that's the source (don't know if the expansion was approved) there may be political ramifications. if they deny responsibility the cleanup could be delayed while the court determines culpability.

can't find the story on NJ12, searched for Glen Gardner, Spruce Run, Eastern Concrete, and there's nothing about it on the 'environment' page- http://newjersey.news12.com/category...ey-environment
Yeah I had the same issue with News 12, I think they aired it as a "reader" story where the anchor talks about the story with a small picture for 15 - 30 seconds. No article online.

And i have spoken to a quarry manager twice now, they are definitely not denying their involvement. I have the cell phone number of one of the managers who admitted the pumping to me on a call Friday. What really makes me upset is that the town of Glen Gardner, more specifically the Mayor, has not made any public statements about this other than arguing logistics in Facebook comments. Truly sickening.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Yeah I had the same issue with News 12, I think they aired it as a "reader" story where the anchor talks about the story with a small picture for 15 - 30 seconds. No article online.

And i have spoken to a quarry manager twice now, they are definitely not denying their involvement. I have the cell phone number of one of the managers who admitted the pumping to me on a call Friday. What really makes me upset is that the town of Glen Gardner, more specifically the Mayor, has not made any public statements about this other than arguing logistics in Facebook comments. Truly sickening.
post the facebook link.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
post the facebook link.
Unfortunately the post in question was seemingly deleted. Basically someone who lives on main street was talking about the pumping and the the mayor was saying that "we dont know for sure they pumped it into the creek" and the main street resident said "uh, yes we do, a quarry employee was in my yard and told me they did."

I am trying to investigate some of the mayors claims tomorrow, and he is a good friend of my parents, so I don't want to stir up a witch hunt until I have some more facts. I will be speaking with the Pequest Hatchery to investigate some intel I received that I believe to be bogus. Will post updates when I have them.

Thanks for everyone's support and awareness! We need to continue spreading the word so the Quarry is held accountable.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

heavy rain tomorrow, did they start a cleanup or just the containment booms? chances are they're waiting to see what a flush from mother nature does.

here's the stream gauge on spruce run at main st glen gardner (no turbidity, oxygen level, or ph parameter on this one but gauge height will show what kind of flush it gets tomorrow)-

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv?site_no=01396582

there's a few more in the area (looks like there's one in the pic of the boom at van syckles), not sure which ones are pertinent, check it out-

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/rt

Last edited by tycomps; 08-06-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Pictures of the booms that probably won't do anything. This isn't an oil spill.

https://goo.gl/photos/u6cvxtd4BGcUVFKB7
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbaiter View Post
Pictures of the booms that probably won't do anything. This isn't an oil spill.

https://goo.gl/photos/u6cvxtd4BGcUVFKB7
judging from the appearance of the water pre/post boom it doesn't look like it.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Here's something the mayor posted on Facebook regarding the pumping:

"As some may know.. last Sunday the quarry had drained one of the basins- they were supposed to tell us and the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) as a matter of protocol. This is as violated and I'm sure they will be fined. I was there last Sunday as was a the DEP. It didn't go unnoticed. We are on it!

What you should understand- the basin captures water and sediment. Water is used to clean the gravel. No chemicals etc are used just water.

The DEP should always be there to monitor the amount of sediment drained as not to impact the beautiful trout stream.

A video was recently posted and didn't contain all the facts. Fish are dying etc 4 days later. It is still to be determined as to why they are dying (Pequest Hatchery stocks the river and the trout they had released in the past had bacteria in them which also caused them to die). The wildlife and game warden is doing an autopsy to get the actual facts on that.

Out town engineer, attorney, Mayor, Council and environmental engineer along with the DEP are all over the situation. The Raritian Headwaters association and Trout Unlimited as well.

At the end of the day know we are on it and let's not exacerbate the situation half informed, instead we will solve it when we have ALL the facts. The sky isn't falling and the world isn't ending.

Until then use your energy to enjoy the beautiful weather! We are on it!

Sorry for the length of this post and be rest assured this will be resolved!

I will update you as the information comes in!

Feel free to private message me if you like!

Kindly,
Mattias"

What I don't understand is the claim that the trout were "infected with bacteria". They stopped stocking months ago...if they really did have some sort of bacteria they most likely would have died long ago, right? Doesn't make much sense to me. I left a message with the hatchery so hopefully I'll speak with them tomorrow to see if that is true or not.