NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pike - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Pike

Although I've never gone with steel, I've seen and talked to people on the Passaic who do use it. When asking them the "how you making out?" question, their responses were usually along the lines of "I got one" or "I had a few strikes". This was during outings where I had caught 13, 9, and 7 fish in three trips. Based off of these numbers and their responses, I'd say that the steel somewhat impacted their results for the worse. Now, this is a small test set but I found it to be convincing enough for me as a firsthand experience. Paired with the fact that I didn't have a single bite off with the #20 fluoro, it makes it hard for me to go in the direction of steel. Of course--to each their own. Using large lures and things like spinnerbaits or big buzzbaits tend to keep knots and line/leader out of harms way--unless they inhale the bait which happens often. With fluoro being as resilient (and hard) as it is, it can still hold up well in the business end of northerns.

Again... just my $0.02... now I wanna go pike fishing!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've yet to get sawed off by a Pike using 20lb flouro. I actually had one a few weeks ago where while reeling it in, it somehow spit the lure but got my flouro leader tangled in his teeth. No idea how I managed to get him to shore like this, but the flouro held up with just a few rough spots to show for it. It wasn't a big Pike by any means (26"ish?), but I was happy with the flouro's performance.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
No steel leader for Pike in the Passaic. They just don't come for the bait. I don't think its neccessary and it definitely turns them off.
I completely and respectfully disagree.... I use 30lb power pro and 5" 20lb steel black leader and I have never had any problems catching Pike (and I catch a lot of nice size Pike)... matter of fact the Smallies still hit even with steel leader on....

You absolutely do not have to worry about line presentation when it comes to Pike or Musky... They will hit anything regardless of what the bait is attached to.... When it comes to fishing Pike I dont take any chances and I go with heavy braid and steel leader all the way...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG
Great point actually! Any chance of getting a similar summary for the pompton and millstone??
I pretty much live on the millstone and besides the way they look, they have nothing in common lol
Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would have thought that steel leaders for musky are a no no because they are much more finicky than pike. I'm a bass fisherman but I just bought some musky lures, jaw spreaders, and hook cutters (as recommended by catfish) because I'm dying to catch one of those beasts this year. I've only caught one in my life and have been so intrigued since.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Once you catch your fair share, you'll come realize a few things:

1) that for their size they don't fight nearly as well as they should or could. I've caught smallies 1/3 their size that put up a better fight.

2) they are a pain to release (unharmed)once caught. you basically have to crush them to unhook them or use gloves or vice grips either of which hurts the fish.

3) those 25" fish you were once thrilled to catch start to annoy you since you know there are bigger.

4) You'll lose more lures on branches and snags than fish.

5) Fishing undisturbed water is nearly impossible especially on weekends.

I had the pike 'fever' for a few months but it went away once I realized it wasn't anything really special. Who knows though, I may catch it again in the spring

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 02-16-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Get a lip gripper and jaw spreader and they're easy to release unharmed. As far a leard presentation goes, it definitely makes a difference in some places. You can do well with steel if the bait and location is good but that doesn't make it the best option in every situation. If you do use steel make sure it doesn't have a snap swivel on it. I've seen snap swivels straighten out more times than I've seen 60lb+ test floro break.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I should point out that I use Black steel leaders and I remove the ball bearing swivel and attach my braid directly to the leader loop... I also remove the lure swivel that comes attached with the leader and I add my own reputable brand after market swivel... The only thing that I really concerned with is the 5" bite/teeth span of the PIKE from where the lure attaches..... when removing the ball swivel and using just the steel leader itself it will not affect lure presentation and the line does not sink as fast when fishing top water plugs, poppers and walk the dog type lures....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Leader material does matter. If I was fishing topwater baits I wouldn't use floro either because it sinks. If I'm fishing bait lower in the water column with a slow presentation or dead bait through the ice the pike has as much time as it wants to inspect your bait and your rigs. Sometimes they'll look at it for 5 minutes, swim off, come back. In that situation I'd definitely use floro. I've caught 5 over 40" and dozens of 36-40" fish so I must be doing something right.