NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake trout stocking for 2013: - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lake trout stocking for 2013:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake
I think the state has done a fantastic job of providing variety for ALL anglers. I'm with JRock that there are exactly TWO places to fish for lakers (if you don't count Monks) in NJ in comparison to the hundreds of places to fish for trout and bass. I think some anglers seem to have an entitlement problem that their species of choice is the only one worthwhile protecting. And I can't agree that the decline of trophy trout fishing is what killed the bait shops and made RV a ghost town. Laurie at Dow's told me she used to rent 50 boats on the weekend and now she keeps a fraction of that many in the water. Not as many people are fishing these days and bait shops have trouble keeping up with online shopping. The RV bait shops are not the only ones that have gone the way of the dodo. The laker tournaments at RV seem to attract plenty of anglers and the state has already stopped the stocking and upped the creel.
my thoughts exactly
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
I love all fish. How about you guys? I love all you NJF members! Its the most wonderful time of the year, eggnog anyone? Its really good eggnog.
Pass the eggnog Eddie. Ok I'll wait till meet and greet.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just for the record I respect andys oppinion because I see that he posts a lot of good info here and it seems as if he does good research. And I have seen many of lardomighty videos on youtube and I think they are awsome and it seems he knows a thing or two about fishing. Maybe we can meet in the middle and agree to get rid of them in merrill creek and see how these new regs. affect rv before we try to eliminate them there. I also respect catfishonthelake greatly because like many of us on this board he spends a lot of time on the water and a lot of money on this sport that we love. At the end of the day its the hardcore fisherman that keep the njfishandgame afloat. Happy Holidays to all and tight lines, oh and that eggnog would be great on the ice on monksville in a few weeks (fingers crossed for ice!!).
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't quite understand the disdain for lake trout. I've spent many an enjoyable day fishing for them at MC. Reel them in slowly watching for air bubbles being "burped" out and they swim away just fine. You can have good action all day.

Only 3 or so lakes have them so I don't see what the big deal is. There are probably close to 50 bodies of water where you can try your luck for good sized browns/brookies/rainbows.

As far as the fight is concerned, it isn't great, but neither are walleye either and they seem to be an "in" fish right now.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake
I think the state has done a fantastic job of providing variety for ALL anglers. I'm with JRock that there are exactly TWO places to fish for lakers (if you don't count Monks) in NJ in comparison to the hundreds of places to fish for trout and bass. I think some anglers seem to have an entitlement problem that their species of choice is the only one worthwhile protecting. And I can't agree that the decline of trophy trout fishing is what killed the bait shops and made RV a ghost town. Laurie at Dow's told me she used to rent 50 boats on the weekend and now she keeps a fraction of that many in the water. Not as many people are fishing these days and bait shops have trouble keeping up with online shopping. The RV bait shops are not the only ones that have gone the way of the dodo. The laker tournaments at RV seem to attract plenty of anglers and the state has already stopped the stocking and upped the creel.
I agree with this. I spend most days on the water and very little time online or on forums. I came across this thread and also the letter to Fish and Game about fisherman not wanting lakers. Everyone is entitled their opinion. The opinion expressed its not that of everyone. I enjoy fishing lake trout year round and prefer them over other species. My family and friends share in that year round enjoyment as well and there is also a whole group of die hard laker guys at both Merrill and the Valley who like me are always fishing and not on forums. I will spread the word to the guys to email the state their feelings about lake trout at rv and merrill and hopefully one guy wont ruin things for the rest of us lake trout fishermen.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I see both sides of the fence, BUT if the state is gonna stock certain species, they have to be responsible for them. My point is like this.....hybrids in LH and monksville, they are EATING MACHINES on herring, yet monksville is LOADED w them and so is LH, so much so that laurie sells most of the state her herring outta there, no problems at all w the states decision there. Lake trout on the other hand are WORST than hybrids, they eat everything and grow to much bigger sizes, places like MC and RV cannot keep up w that kind of pressure on their baitfish populations, the state needs to also stock herring to keep up w the demand if they choose to populate the lake w these fish. It ended up that RVTA has to work very hard to buy baitfish to keep the place alive, yet they didnt stock the lakers there the state did. I have no problems w lake trout, Ive caught them and they fight OK sometimes, its still a catch and something is better than nothing for most guys fishing those waters. My biggest problem is w the creel limits, with all the fish being stocked and especially w the musky and walleye, there are TOO many fish being taken. U all know that I fish LH heavily, and in the spring the nighttime bite on eyes is unbeleivable, I can catch as many as I want. The rest of the year, I couldnt bet on a walleye to save my life, they disappear and spending a day targeting them will usually result in a skunk, the same goes for Swartswood for the most part, but its a smaller lake w similar stock numbers and there is alot of natural reproduction that is documented. Sure theres some spots that always hold them and maybe u can get lucky, but with all the fish stocked why isnt anything consistent on some of these bodies of water? U can go to an average minnesota/north central USA lake or canada lets say, and whack walleyes all day long, musky too w multi catch days, not in NJ tho. Come fall Im on LH and see these foreigners spend ALL DAY trying to catch walleyes and they go right into the livewell if caught and Ive seen many shorts in spring and in fall being kept. With the rescources being pumped into the state from anglers, the state should designate some waters strictly catch & release for a few years, and let the populations naturally grow to trophy standards as far as numbers go, size wize nature will dictate that. Considering this is NJ I think NJFG has done a great job w the management of the fishing and its come a long way, but I dont think they have the real street level results that us anglers have that are actually out there fishing, and thats what is gonna help it go to the next level. I actually applaud Andy's efforts, he is entitled to his opinion no matter what it is, and he spends alot of time writing letters and attending meetings, thats how things start to get done or at least make an attempt. My hats off to him for his dedication

Last edited by jimmythegreek; 08-09-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I ate a Laker out of Round Valley ... tasted Lousey
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
I'm sure by now everyone on here knows my beef with lake trout. Hook them, they roll like a catfish, blow bubbles and float to the surface. Gimme a big brown trout anyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZt2HquSvbA
I catch a LOT of them here in NY state.. I assure you most do not fight as you described... Some fight like hell, I have had a few of them jump, some bore straight down,impossible to stop unless you want a broken rod...
I will admit, every once in a while, you would swear you hooked a big pile of weeds, but its a laker.. However, thats not the norm,,, at least it isn't here in NY state... never caught a NJ laker, so I can't comment, but NJ is not really optimal for lakers.. They are a fish of the far north, and are better fighters in the Canadian lakes than they are in the states... Just giving the poor lakers some due respect.. I like them fine...Here in the Finger Lakes they are a mainstay... bob