NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Buzzbait Largies and a Rahway River Stockie - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Buzzbait Largies and a Rahway River Stockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
How has the fishing been over on the south side? I took the kayak out last Friday to Bloodgoods and paddled up the River all the way to the Parkway. I saw a few stockies nothing great. The stretch just downstream of where the river passes under the Parkway has a lot of promise. Rocky bottom and some nice deep holes (I had a depth finder and found lots of 8-10 ft. holes - upstream of parkway dam I have located just one hole over 8 ft deep and it is way up in Kenilworth). Not sure why I never seem to catch anything over there.

I have mostly fished the Nomahegan stretch of the river. I also fish the Dam by North union/Grays funeral home almost every night while walking my dog but no luck as of yet. Once water temps start to rise they love to congregate below that dam.
theres fish but its nothing to write home about in my stretch. mostly sight fishing for bass. great if you bring kids or the wife. or trying to make bait. the river is real shallow and choked with sunnies. im super lazy so its easy to just grab a rod and go. bloodgoods can be good before it weeds over, like all the water in union county. I really want to get into the carp this year. theres some monsters in there, can get right up on them in the kayak. the river by Winfield and the GSP is deep, but really clear, lots of timber. the wife wants to go paddling Friday, will probably put in @macconnell and go upriver, 4" senkos and small rapalas and roostertails are already packed.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
theres fish but its nothing to write home about in my stretch. mostly sight fishing for bass. great if you bring kids or the wife. or trying to make bait. the river is real shallow and choked with sunnies. im super lazy so its easy to just grab a rod and go. bloodgoods can be good before it weeds over, like all the water in union county. I really want to get into the carp this year. theres some monsters in there, can get right up on them in the kayak. the river by Winfield and the GSP is deep, but really clear, lots of timber. the wife wants to go paddling Friday, will probably put in @macconnell and go upriver, 4" senkos and small rapalas and roostertails are already packed.
Snagged two Bass down in your neck of the woods last night. Both caught on a 1/4 oz. green pumpkin jig with craw trailer. I also saw a real nice looking trout go after what appeared to be a white fuzzy tree blossom floating in the current. The trout went airborne attaching whatever was floating (and missed it completely). Not sure how you match that hatch, however I can at least confirm that the trout are rising to the surface to hit topwater. I eventually had to leave when a friendly Union County cop told me it was after hours (in fairness I was parked directly in front of a sign forbidding any parking after 10 pm). The local waters continue to produce!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1341.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	108576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	108577  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Buzzbait Largies and a Rahway River Stockie

Phenom action right here in good old union county! Awesome catching dude!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdumbandfulloffish View Post
I've fished there a few times with no luck. I work in downtown cranford on weekends so it seemed like great spot to get a few casts in before or after work. Any luck above that damn? There seems to be a little access between the completely open path and houses.
I have probably fished above that dam 100 times and never caught a thing. I walk right by that stretch of river on my way to and from the train so sometimes I keep a pole stashed in Hanson Park so that I can take a few casts on my walk home. Unless the river has just been stocked all I see in there are carp. The bottom of the falls can produce some good action later in the season especially if we haven't had much rain and the river is low.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice piggies! There are some beasts in those park ponds,