NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Any advice for a newb with a kayak? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Any advice for a newb with a kayak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
You need to expect that boats in these areas will be running at speed and will not slow down to avoid waking you even if they see you.
i prefer people not slow down. it's way worse when the idiots think they are doing you a favor come off of plane but don't actually slow to a no-wake speed so they throw you a huge displacement size wake instead of the much smaller planing wake.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Me and my brother have been kayak fishing for a few years, here's some advice from my experience:
  1. PFD- ALWAYS on, not worth the risks for some unrestricted movement
  2. Flag kit- especially if going into the salt or any other big water
  3. don't rig it or drill/cut any holes to rig it until you've fished it a couple times...sometimes what you think is the perfect spot for a rod holder or fishfinder placement ends up being far from optimal once you're on the water
  4. use duct seal to mount your transducer inside the hull, works like a charm, and is removable...depending on where you fish, and how much water comes in, you may be able to get away with routing the wires through a hatch or something, without drilling

I fish mainly sweetwater with my kid in my 2 person hobie, and my brother sticks mainly to the salt, can help you out with rigging advice if you need it....the toughest hole to drill is the first one, so make sure its in the right spot, lol
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Start off with 2 beers on your first trip, then gradually work your way up with experience. Always remember where you parked your car. Some fish have teeth so have a roll of electric tape washing around in the water in your hull to stop the bleeding, duct seal works in a pinch. When you see a boat, flag them down and ask for a tow, it's way easier than paddling. When your ass bone goes numb from sitting too long, its a good time to practice "in water re-entry" to get some sensation back. Avoid dropping pissed off pickerel on the pile of lures laying on the deck between your legs. If your surf launching, bring a helmet for the ride back in when you fail miserably at attempting to ride a wave back into shore and drive your head into the sand bottom in 6" of water. Get cell phone insurance.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
Start off with 2 beers on your first trip, then gradually work your way up with experience. Always remember where you parked your car. Some fish have teeth so have a roll of electric tape washing around in the water in your hull to stop the bleeding, duct seal works in a pinch. When you see a boat, flag them down and ask for a tow, it's way easier than paddling. When your ass bone goes numb from sitting too long, its a good time to practice "in water re-entry" to get some sensation back. Avoid dropping pissed off pickerel on the pile of lures laying on the deck between your legs. If your surf launching, bring a helmet for the ride back in when you fail miserably at attempting to ride a wave back into shore and drive your head into the sand bottom in 6" of water. Get cell phone insurance.
Lol nice
Old 08-25-2015, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

If you're paddling down the Delaware River and you see a bunch of guys catfishing and drinking whiskey on the bank named Andre, Eddie, Alex and Pablo - paddle as fast as you can in the opposite direction!

Come on Esk you know you are always welcomed.

Andre
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Best advice ever.

Andre
Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What kind of fishing do you plan to do?
Small water or big water?
Short excursions or overnight trips?
Small fish or big fish?
How big are you?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Words of wisdom right here! LMAO!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There's so much truth to all these replies, even the joking ones. Here's what I've learned over my 10 years kayak fishing. Your 11.5 may be short for bigger water especially salt, be careful in high wind and waves. Wind sucks.

1. Start simple, keep gear to a minimum and learn what works and what doesn't. this also helps a new comer when they dump in the water (keeps gear loss to a min )
2. Start small, small lakes or real slow moving river
3. Get proper sized paddle, for a SOT with 33"beam an adjustable 230-255 is best. To short will result in early fatigue.
4. Buy a fishing PFD to keep the small gear secure and for quick access, pliers, forceps, snap swivels, line nippers.
5. When fishing in cold weather buy dry paddle pants because you will get soaked
6. Not a requirement for all but I find that a rudder is a great addition to a fishing kayak because you can control your direction in most cases when hands are tied up with fishing rod.
7. When approaching your cast point, slow down well before and gently stop kayak with paddle, early on you will find that you run over where you are fishing before you can get a cast or two because of momentum.
8. Practice self rescue. Now this is something that I haven't done myself and with 10 years experience I know that I am due for an unexpected swim one of these days. Go to a boat launch (not during busy time) walk yourself out and practice self rescue, learn what works with your SOT, paddle float, rescue rope (used as a foot step) etc.
9. Don't forget to enjoy yourself.
10(late addition). Don't be afraid to trim down the handles on your fishing rods. When wearing a PFD larger rod handles will hit the vest causing you to have to hold the rod out further resulting in early fatigue. My ultra light and medium rods the handles were fine but my med-heavy rod I trimmed about 2 inches off of the butt section. But again start simple and learn what works and what doesnt for you.

Salt water
Flag kit
Marine Radio
Flare to shoot at boats passing too close, or spare rod with 20ounce weight on it.
Paddle partner
Do not go out in ocean until you are able to paddle 75% power for 30-45mins without break. Endurance is very important. Tides, wind, waves.

Last edited by thyer; 08-25-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

#1, get a good PFD and wear it. There are fishing versions available with plentiful pockets. Every year I read about kayakers and canoers who drown and there is often a quote from a friend or family member who says "...but he was a really good swimmer..."

When you dump a yak, canoe or any boat and are worried about your tackle box with hundreds of bucks of equipment, and your rods or anything else, you can tire easily. And if you get tangled in your fishing line or anchor line etc. and panic ensues, I don't care if you're Michael Phelps, you may be in a struggle for your life. So wear that PFD, even if it's 95 degrees.