NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Union County - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Trout Union County

Where in Union County are trout going to hold over?
The storm sewer also called the Rahway river?
Surprise Lake? I'm curious.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I never had 43 trout in my truck, never had more than 6 as that would be illegal
The places these fish are placed are available to the angling public and in clearly posted trout stocked waters
They are moved, in most cases witjing eyesight of where they were caught, to locations where they will not die in 3 weeks due to heat, or end up on ice in Elizabeth at a market for sale
What I am doing is no different than anyone who catches a trout and them release it
Guess it would be better that I posted pictures or videos of my heroic catches rather than try to improve the fishery in my urban oasis like the do on the SBR, Flatbrook, Musky and other fancy places
Done
Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Trout Union County

I'm serious. Please attend a Fish and Game Council meeting and sit down and tell Dave Chanda, the head of New Jersey Fish and Game, what you are doing,
make sure Lisa Barno is there also, I think they would love to hear what you are doing to improve trout fishing in New Jersey.
You can also reach out to Rahway chapter of Trout Unlimited and run it by them also.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Andy in all seriousness they are welcome to come speak with me anytime but I do not have time to attend their meeting nor do I believe they would pay much attention to the Rahway river. The rivers water quality is much improved in the last few decades but silting has left much of it nothing more than a meandering mud puddle. Some stretches are different. I will not trout fish again this year two weeks from now; but the fish I have spread out will keep the kids in town fishing through the summer trying to catch these trout as I did 35 years ago, many will catch their first trout in a fly rod in this way

I know the guys in that group, many live in my neighborhood and I have known them for years and appreciate the things they do

I am comfortable with what I do and will not change the practice. It's right in every way
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

How do you know where a suitable place for trout to holdover is? Not trolling here, just wondering
Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

i've caught half a dozen brown trout in green brook and the cranford section of the rahway river this spring, i think they must be from last year but who knows. might be a coincidence but all were near a waterfall
Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I just have this image in my head of Suntzu's Fish Taxi Service.

He pulls over along the stream and the fish hail him down and say, "Upstream please" and climb into the back seat.

Last edited by Eskimo; 05-04-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A. View Post
i've caught half a dozen brown trout in green brook and the cranford section of the rahway river this spring, i think they must be from last year but who knows. might be a coincidence but all were near a waterfall
My guess is that those Brown trout were stocked in Echo Lake in the Fall. They got to the Rahway via Nomahegan Brook.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Rahway River has no holdover trout (trout maintenance) water:

RAHWAY RIVER

SOUTH BRANCH
(Rahway) - Source to Hazelwood Ave., Rahway FW2-NT
(Rahway) - Hazelwood Ave. to mouth SE2

MAIN STEM
(Rahway) - Upstream of Pennsylvania Railroad bridge FW2-NT
(Linden) - Penn. Railroad bridge to Route 1&9 crossing SE2
(Carteret) - Route 1&9 crossing to mouth SE3

“FW2” means the general surface water classification applied to those fresh waters that are not designated as FW1 or Pinelands Waters.

“NT” means nontrout waters. “Nontrout waters” means fresh waters that have not been designated in N.J.A.C. 7:9B-1.15I through (i) as trout production or trout maintenance. These waters are generally not suitable for trout because of their physical, chemical or biological characteristics, but are suitable for a wide variety of other fish species.

“SE” means the general surface water classification applied to saline waters of estuaries.

The above excerpted from http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_9b.pdf
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Talking Re: Trout Union County

I think your doing a great job! I do it all the time! Might relocate some in the raritan in the edison/nb area if they can free themselves from the #4 gammy. I move stockies in the same river all the time.