NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Nj division of fish and wildlife readying plenty of healthy rainbow trout for spring - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Nj division of fish and wildlife readying plenty of healthy rainbow trout for spr

I think the most disappointing thing about not having Brown Trout stocked the next 2 or 3 years is the fact that I never see Rainbows hold over 2 or 3 years like browns do..Hope these next few years will be different, but I have my doubts..Any 1 have a lake that holds rainbows over year after year???
Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Nj division of fish and wildlife readying plenty of healthy rainbow trout for spr

idk about nj but here in ny we do
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Round valley holds rainbows year after year....great fishery
Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15FOOTER View Post
Round valley holds rainbows year after year....great fishery
X2
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The trout stocking of NJ waters up until the outbreak of furno. of 2014 was on track to do things it hadn't done in its history.

Decades of progress in our trout stocking program has current stocking levels far beyond my wildest dreams. Not only as a volunteer, but as an avid NJ angler and trout fishing enthuiest.

As a teenager growing up, I remember when it was a big deal to catch 1 fish over 13 inches in a NJ trout stream.

Catching your "first NJ breeder" etched in our memories of classics growing up. Can still remember my first 21 inch trout in NJ. Musky River "Stephen's State Park / many moons ago"

Into my 20s/30s it became the norm to think "how many big fish do I have a shot at today"

Catching 2/3/4 15 - 24 inch fish were now becoming a possibility.

Years past of fishing until the first week of June moved later and later into the summer.

Over the last few years, it got easier and easier to blow the dust off the gear for fall and winter treks into the frigid waters.

Nothing was more excited than over the last few years putting in 5 - 11 lb trout that you wouldn't believe were thrown in other than actually putting them in the water yourself.

2015 marks a road to recovery. We will see 16 - 18 inch in our NJ waters.

As the years progress, I can only hope we are on the road we were once headed prior to this outbreak.

Kind of glad this happened in retrospect, make people think twice of what they have right infront of them vs what can easily be taken away.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I help stock my local PA streams & we usually have a good supply of brownies , along with the bows .
Unlike NJ stock program we get to do the stocking . Guys made float tank load it up and away we go , sometimes we bust R tales to get a good spread on fish but it works out well . In PA u can fish same day but most fish need to acclimate & fishing usually gets good in a few days . Plus not many anglers
We have to wade so we can't get a good spread in bigger rivers but we do OK. Fish vary in size but for most part they average 11" up to big girls 20" plus. It's funny since u know where u put a lot of the fish yet catching them takes work, all good! and yes they move around better yet !
Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

well i wouldn't say i'm glad it happened, as i think most of us with half a brain realize that what NJ doesn't have in trophy fish size it makes up for 10 fold in variety!

I'm not saying we don't have 'trophy' sized fish but maybe less so than other places; yet i'd be willing to be very little if any other states can boast the vast variety of species that do very well in our waters due to the DFW efforts.

I think they do a great job and this is what it is. plenty of other species around like i said, broaden your horizons! I couldn't imagine fishing for just a few species. I change gears constantly targeting every fish NJ has for portions of the season. I honestly don't know how you guys that are obsessed with 1-3 species stay sane!