NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ramp in Riegelsville Closing - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ramp in Riegelsville Closing

Well if its a union job it might take a while, but that still seems pretty steep.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm glad to here the rumor is false at least to some extent, thanks for the info Mark. Apparently there will be a fee for some and F&W is going to spend $819,000.00 of our license dollar to upgrade the ramp. The requirements will require enforcement (a paycheck) more expense. (Whenever you make rules or laws, you empower some and take freedoms and privilege away from others.) If you were to put $5,000.00 of maintenance in that ramp every year (which I don't think it had in the last 10 years) you could take care of it for the next 160 years with $819,000.00. The interest on that money would more than take care of it. The ramp was really much better before the Bridge commission worked on it when rebuilding the bridge. ( another government agency). Not to get down on Pa people, but a lot of them use the ramp and the river is reciprocal as for licenses, so would they be able to use the ramp. If we really want to improve access to the river talk pa into getting rid of that stupid canal. there always working on it and it never has water in it. It's like paving and plowing snow on a road no one uses.
In these troubled times I think the government should use a little common sense.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There's some info at NJ.com and McGraw Hill is the company that's doing the project. Might be able to find some info on there site.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

eh, stuff costs money. to me, a million bucks for a large boat ramp, docking facilities and parking along a major river wouldn't seem any more unreasonable than any other public construction project. i am sure that they are forced to do all sorts of modeling and testing to certify that the design that they are using doesn't negatively affect the watershed, that they aren't releasing too much silt into the river during construction, that the bulldozers hurt the shads feelings, etc. all that those engineers and tests will be the bulk of the cost; construction is probably only a 1/4 or 1/3 of the total.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
eh, stuff costs money. to me, a million bucks for a large boat ramp, docking facilities and parking along a major river wouldn't seem any more unreasonable than any other public construction project. i am sure that they are forced to do all sorts of modeling and testing to certify that the design that they are using doesn't negatively affect the watershed, that they aren't releasing too much silt into the river during construction, that the bulldozers hurt the shads feelings, etc. all that those engineers and tests will be the bulk of the cost; construction is probably only a 1/4 or 1/3 of the total.
The key words there are " any more unreasonable than any other public construction project." meaning maybe all or most are unreasonable. This just happens to be a place I'm very familiar with as I live only a short distance from it and use it often. A million bucks here and a million bucks there just keeps making government bigger, more costly and digs New Jersey a deeper hole to climb out of. I'm sure the government employees, officials and contractors involved in the project think it's great, they benefit from it as they have some of you thinking you will to. As for me living a 1/4 mile from the launch and using it often as many others do. I don't see the benefit. Boats go in, boat come out, people get along and have a good time, I've never seen parking be a problem and if someone gets stuck some one will help, it's country leave it alone.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: Ramp in Riegelsville Closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcreek
The key words there are " any more unreasonable than any other public construction project." meaning maybe all or most are unreasonable.
no argument there. if it were a private enterprise, they would certainly get the work done for less (if at all). but if it were a private enterprise, it wouldn't be free or included as part of fishing license fees, and people would certainly not like that... so we get a $819,000 public boat ramp that the locals don't want. business as usual, your tax dollars at work.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Welcome to Riegelsville State park. Can't wait to see how many guys snap there props on the rocks. Whatever, keep country in NJ. That's what I'm about, we don't have much left. Embrace the country and support NJ farms while we still have them!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Sounding just a bit selfish here, fellas. Must be the me, me, me, mine mentality the masses have developed lately.

i highly doubt the ramp will turn into Central Park.