NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Delaware River Flatheads 8/2 - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: Delaware River Flatheads 8/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
This F&G dude used to come to Echo Lake to hang out and check licenses, he lives in Rockaway and I have talked to him quite a few times but have not seen him in about a year. He said theres nothing wrong with using trout for bait or any other fish for that matter as long as they are of legal size. Obviously if you buy the trout from the hatchery you need to have the receipt on you. Using small fish to catch BIG fish is mother natures doing. The nature of the beast. Im not going to say I used the trout for bait on here, too many people are sensitive. TIGHT LINES!!!
I scoured the fish regulations site and no where does it indicate that Trout cannot be used as bait.
And there is NO size limit on Trout in the Delaware River. The bag limit is 5, and the open season is April 14 at 8 a.m.– Oct. 15
So.....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Delaware River Flatheads 8/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
I scoured the fish regulations site and no where does it indicate that Trout cannot be used as bait.
And there is NO size limit on Trout in the Delaware River. The bag limit is 5, and the open season is April 14 at 8 a.m.– Oct. 15
So.....
Good info, I skimmed through the book yesterday as well. Trout, gotta love em.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
Good info, I skimmed through the book yesterday as well. Trout, gotta love em.
For me personally I only like them smoked, otherwise I like a nice 5 lb. Brown swimming away after I just released it
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
For me personally I only like them smoked, otherwise I like a nice 5 lb. Brown swimming away after I just released it
Smoked trout AWESOME and you can keep it forever. Watching that lil 5 lber swim away, WOW, now thats just beautiful!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ok fellas, next time going out is probably going to be friday night. Im going to get there pretty early to secure a spot. I want to use some eels for bait so anybody who wants to join bring some live eels. Come on down and get your river monster fix. PM me or give me a call, lets get em!!! TIGHT LINES!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sounds like fun but be aware these flatheads are an invasive species and eaten or not should not be returned to the river alive.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
So.....
I emailed a person in the DEP and this is the answer I received back, in record time too I might add.

"A NJ freshwater fishing license, with a trout stamp, entitles you to keep the daily creel & size limit of trout. Then, you can do whatever you want with them, …..………..including live lining them. If you possess more trout than the legal limit, and/or, ones that are less than the legal size, you better have a receipt to prove that you purchased them.
Anglers @ the shore, catch their freshwater limit of trout, & live line them in the salt for stripers.

Ditto for trout from Musconetcong River, D & R Canal as bait in the Del. River"

So Trout as bait is ok

Last edited by Wilson; 08-05-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toghead
Sounds like fun but be aware these flatheads are an invasive species and eaten or not should not be returned to the river alive.
All fish have been skinned, filleted and eaten. Very tasty fish. Good fighting fish as well.