NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Help with Shad - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-10-2017, 01:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Help with Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
All great advice! Don't forget the Raritan gets a nice run of Shad! Darts on the Raritan for me! These fish will lay low and stop pushing up with the current polar vortex were having! It's early, make sure your ready!!!

Unlawful to fish for A. shad in the Raritan River, as it is considered a recovering population.

See pages 27 & 28 of: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/digfsh24-34.pdf

Shad, American* - Delaware River only

Open year round, No minimum size, 3 per day

* Due to serious declines in American Shad numbers, the taking of American Shad, except for the Delaware River, is prohibited.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

you can probably catch and release them in the Raritan, right? Nothing wrong with fishing for other fish with darts and by-catching shad haha.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCat08 View Post
you can probably catch and release them in the Raritan, right? Nothing wrong with fishing for other fish with darts and by-catching shad haha.
Darts are my go-to for Raritan River smallies!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
Darts are my go-to for Raritan River smallies!
If a Conservation Officer observes you fishing with a shad dart & catching / releasing multiple Raritan River A. shad, he’s going to bust you, as you falsely claim, “I’m targeting smallies!”

Same deal for anglers without a trout stamp, catching / releasing multiple trout,….“I’m targeting smallies!”
Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've always done best with flicker spoons from a boat or on shore. Every day the best color can vary but for me pink seems to be the most consistent. Very easy to fish and catch them but does take some knowledge of where to fishoot. Couple tips I'll give you from shore as seems like that what several will be doing. When water is low and clear look for spots where you can cast into the deeper channel, and think of smaller spoons and darts. Vice versa when the water is up and cloudy target the current seem closer to shore and think slightly bigger spoons and darts. Sections of Rapids can produce in high or lower water as the shad don't wanna run up the extreme current

There are shad already in the river but you won't have much luck till the water temp gets closer to 50. Best bet is follow the reports and follow the main run of fish, march-April can be great in the lower section (Trenton through lambertvill) of the river, April and may in the middle section (Stockton, through easton and up to water gap) and may and June typical the upper River shines from (water gap up to ny) with that said different pushes of fish can make good action anywhere at any time, I've caught shad into June near easton as well as plenty of shad in water gap during april. Best of luck guys
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Rutgers plans to open / clean The Raritan River Island Farm Weir Fish Ladder next week & install the camera system / antennas for the monitoring of 2017 run.

A. shad are in the Delaware River. A week ago, a few were caught near Easton PA.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i USED TO CATCH SHAD STARTING ABOUT THE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH AT THE TRENTON POWER PLANT.iF THE PLANT IS RUNNING THE WARM WATER DISCHRGE INTO THE COVE IS THE PLACE TO BE.LAST YEAR I TOOK A FLOAT TRIP DOWN THE DELAWARE RIVER FROM LONG EDDY TO CALICOON NY IN THE THIRD WEEK OF MAY AND THE SHAD WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE.yOU COULD SEE THEM. CRUSING ALONG.MANAGED TO CATCH 4 OR 5 BUT WE WERNT EVEN FISHING FOR THEM GOOD IDEA TO CALL FIRST TO SEE IF THE MERCER GENERATING PLANT IS RUNNING.THE PLANT BELONGS TO PULIC SERVICE ELECTRIC AND GAS.yOU CAN ACESS THE COVE OFF OF RT29.jUST TAKE THE LABERTON ST EXIT GO DOWN TO THE STOP SIGN MAKE A LEFT TURN YOU WILL GO AROUND A BUNCH OF CURVES.wHEN YOU SEE THE FIRST OIL COPANY ON RIGHT PARK THERE.THERE IS A WELL MARKED GATE TO ACESS THE COVE.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It's been a while but I've had luck using the same teaser rig that I use in saltwater. I call it the milt Rosko rig because I read about it in one of his articles.

Tie a swivel into a small dropper loop, leave one side longer. Tie you dart on the long end and the flutter spoon on the short end. It was 50/50 between fish on the spoon and dart. I use 6lb floro.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by team heat View Post
i USED TO CATCH SHAD STARTING ABOUT THE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH AT THE TRENTON POWER PLANT.iF THE PLANT IS RUNNING THE WARM WATER DISCHRGE INTO THE COVE IS THE PLACE TO BE.LAST YEAR I TOOK A FLOAT TRIP DOWN THE DELAWARE RIVER FROM LONG EDDY TO CALICOON NY IN THE THIRD WEEK OF MAY AND THE SHAD WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE.yOU COULD SEE THEM. CRUSING ALONG.MANAGED TO CATCH 4 OR 5 BUT WE WERNT EVEN FISHING FOR THEM GOOD IDEA TO CALL FIRST TO SEE IF THE MERCER GENERATING PLANT IS RUNNING.THE PLANT BELONGS TO PULIC SERVICE ELECTRIC AND GAS.yOU CAN ACESS THE COVE OFF OF RT29.jUST TAKE THE LABERTON ST EXIT GO DOWN TO THE STOP SIGN MAKE A LEFT TURN YOU WILL GO AROUND A BUNCH OF CURVES.wHEN YOU SEE THE FIRST OIL COPANY ON RIGHT PARK THERE.THERE IS A WELL MARKED GATE TO ACESS THE COVE.
I drive past the power plant every day and they didn't generate yet this year. The plant is scheduled to shutdown this June because they burn coal. Fishing has been no good there for many years because they don't generate most days.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I caught and released 43 shad the past 2 days on a tube jig but they were all gizzard shad.