NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Main stem Raritan "plenty of fish" - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-12-2015, 07:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Main stem Raritan "plenty of fish"

Wait wait..great looking fish man. Its great to see all these fish left in the river. Sorry to take your
thread off course but Andy when you say the ladder is closed do you mean its physically closed and the fish can not go through or is it just closed to observation. If it is physically closed for winter.....WHY?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Main stem Raritan "plenty of fish"

The ladder is closed ! Water drained. NJ American Water does this because of the ice that may build up in there and damage the ladder itself. Nice having a water company in charge of my fish.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow that stinks. I guess I can kind of understand that reasoning even though I want to complain and yell about it. But Oct thru January is a great time for troutskies to move UP stream as well. Any new info on how the efforts down at the Manasquan are workin out? When will they give up on that? Were never going to get our wish are we Andy lol
Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just keep trying guys!!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease
Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Main stem Raritan "plenty of fish"

Never say never. These photos are a huge help. I plan on going back and talking to the Fish and Game Council armed with these photos and all the clean up photos.
I will be asking for fall trout stocking to the town of Raritan in Raritan Borough and spring trout stocking to the town of Manville.
I try to do as much as I can, but keep most of it off here. I was back in Manville again tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	92604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3153.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	92605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	92606  
Old 12-13-2015, 03:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I was back in Manville again tonight.
Fishing or stream cleaning??Any fizz?er tirres?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

MAIN STEM RARITAN RIVER
(Bound Brook) - From confluence of North and South Branches to Landing Lane bridge in New Brunswick and all freshwater tributaries downstream of Landing Lane bridge. FW2-NT

“FW2” means the general surface water classification applied to those fresh waters that are not designated as FW1 or Pinelands Waters.

NT = “Nontrout waters” means fresh waters that have not been designated in N.J.A.C. 7:9B-1.15I through (i) as trout production or trout maintenance. These waters are generally* not suitable for trout because of their physical, chemical or biological characteristics, but are suitable for a wide variety of other fish species.

The above from: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_9b.pdf

* Undoubtedly, there are cold water seeps / springs that maintain some trout over the summer months, but not many.

Within the above stretch of the main stem NT waters, trout are stocked in the spring & fall (when the water is cold enough to support them) @ Duke Island Park & Nevius St., Raritan because of the abundant public access. That’s where the vast majority of trout below Rt. 206 are coming from. And, of course, from the trout stocked in the NT & Trout Maintenance sections of the North & South Branches.

It is great that volunteer conservation groups are removing tires / other man made debris from the river. But, that action is not going to improve the water quality for the classification to be upgraded to Trout Maintenance from Non-Trout.

The title of this thread, Main stem Raritan "plenty of fish",..........says it all.
The fish are already there, & plenty of them. There is no need to stock.

As Brown Trout are no longer being raised @ Pequest, none are being stocked in the Manansquan River. The sea run program was initiated to make use of surplus browns that were not needed in our inland waters.