NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Odd color to this pike - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Odd color to this pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmatt View Post
NJ is outside of the pike's natural range because they are an introduced species, just like the largemouth bass. That has nothing to do with reproduction though. Pike can reproduce in a bunch of places they are stocked in NJ, such as Budd lake. Any shallow marshy backwater area with vegatation in the Passaic would be a good place for them to spawn.
agreed.
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
NJ is outside of the pike's natural range because they are an introduced species, just like the largemouth bass. That has nothing to do with reproduction though. Pike can reproduce in a bunch of places they are stocked in NJ, such as Budd lake. Any shallow marshy backwater area with vegatation in the Passaic would be a good place for them to spawn.
I think the PR floods too much to be a successful spawning area. Water levels can drop nearly 4 feet in a week. What was a shallow cove can be wet mud in a matter of days. Any eggs laid would soon perish. Better chance in stillwater lakes. They stock pike as small as 2" so its difficult to ascertain whats wild and what isn't. If they only stocked say 10" fish and you caught a 7" pike, that would eliminate any doubt.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 07-21-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-21-2014, 11:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When I was working for fish and game up in Connecticut one of our most successful pike marshes was on the Connecticut River, which goes all the way up to Mass and Vermont and floods much worse and more often than the Passaic.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Breeding or not I'm thinking we don't want them too. Too many pike is a bad thing. They are not picky about what they eat and since adult pike prefer to eat fish 30-40% of their own length, well you can do the math. Thats a 10-12" bass for a 30" pike. Ever wonder why u don't see more bass?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They can eat fish 40% their weight but they don't PREFER it. They prefer to eat smaller less spiny fish with a more slender shape because those fish are easier to swallow and digest. Fish like suckers, shiners, trout, pickerel and other pike. I'm sure they eat some bass but they'd rather eat other fish and there are many of examples of great bass fisheries that also have pike. Not sure where you're coming up with this info
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbaiter View Post
Breeding or not I'm thinking we don't want them too. Too many pike is a bad thing. They are not picky about what they eat and since adult pike prefer to eat fish 30-40% of their own length, well you can do the math. Thats a 10-12" bass for a 30" pike. Ever wonder why u don't see more bass?
There are areas on the river I can pull up to and catch double digit Bass if I want, all in Pike stocked areas. I have had 15 Largemouth days in 42 degree water temps, tons on topwater in the summer including my PB 5.4lb'r, even do well with the Senko bite. And everyone knows how good the Smallie fishing can be. Just gotta know where to target them.

And Dan, AWESOME fish man! One to remember for sure.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
They can eat fish 40% their weight but they don't PREFER it. They prefer to eat smaller less spiny fish with a more slender shape because those fish are easier to swallow and digest. Fish like suckers, shiners, trout, pickerel and other pike. I'm sure they eat some bass but they'd rather eat other fish and there are many of examples of great bass fisheries that also have pike. Not sure where you're coming up with this info
Quite a few studies point to anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 their body length or 25 to 50%.

As for bass, I've had some good days too(best day 15) doesn't mean anything though. Some days its all pike, while others its all bass. U never know. I always think things could be better. One thing for sure is all bass - even the tiniest ones - are fat like going to explode fat :-)

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 07-22-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You think bass are as easy to swallow as a perch? Lol. Sounds like you are a bass fisherman who just doesn't like bigger predators in the same place as our your little bass. They only stock pike in a handfull of places in this state and bass are pretty much everywhere. If you don't like pike then go fish somewhere else.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

From "Aquatic Invasive Species":

Quote:
Previous instances of the spread of the northern pike show just how destructive this species can be. Of the lakes where it is already active in Northern California, its success has been so spectacular that the only solution to stabilize native ecosystems is completely poisoning entire lakes
I am not anti-pike look at my avatar!!! My screensaver at work is also a pike. Fun fish to catch but no of us really know what affect they have on our native fish ecosystems. Perhaps one day we should find out.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 07-22-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is just getting silly. You're taking quotes and facts and using them in a nonsensical way trying to apply them as you see fit. What does one example of lakes in California have anything to do with any of the lakes and rivers in NJ? Almost all the species people like to target in NJ like bass, trout, pike, muskie, walleye, carp are introduced species to the state and many of the lakes with those species like Lake Hopatcong, Pompton, Deleware river, Passaic are all great fisheries. They eventually find a balance in the ecosystem and coexist just fine.